Thread: Are these specs good

Beans

Are these specs good

There are a lot of computers on the auction site for a good price. Are these specs plenty to run the latest Ubuntu. The Pentium 4 I have now is really showing it's age - also, I hate the way the fan revs up on the Pentium 4.

Are these specs good enough and is this a more quiet system
    Intel Core 2 duo
    3 Ghz (or 2.8 ghz)
    4 gigs of ram
    80 gb HD
    4 GB memory

Also, which would be best for this - 32 bit or 64 bit install
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 17th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Are these specs good

Not really enough detail shown there but it should be fine.

The possible weak points could be the graphic card, and whether it is a separate card or an integrated Intel card on the CPU does not really matter unless you are a gamer, but at the moment most serious gamers stick with Windows; who knows in future with steam?

The 80GB disk will soon fill up if you have lots of multimedia files, so be prepared to make use of another disk for data, internal if it's possible, or external if it's not.

Assuming it is a 64 bit CPU, which I am sure it will be, go with 64bit OS; the earlier problems of 64bit have just about disappeared completely now, or can easily be solved.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My current desktop is the Intel Core2 at 2.4GHz from 2006.
    I upgraded motherboard & video card after original video card blew up (literately capacitors popped). I now have nVidia 9600GT. Which is a decent if now older video card.

While I think it runs Unity with full 64 bit Ubuntu, I always change to fallback/flashback or whatever the current name is which is lighter weight than full Unity. My monitor is 4:3 so I prefer top & bottom panels not the left panel Unity has.

Since I added SSD a couple of years ago I am having trouble justifying the new computer I want. For Internet & misc use it works really well. But I do not run games or heavy processing intensive tasks.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Well, I just pulled the trigger on an HP Compaq. It does have the integrated on board graphics. I do not play games. I do not store photos. I just want a system that runs the latest Ubuntu for web, email, etc...

This is what I bought:

• Model: HP Compaq DC5800p Small Form Factor Desktop
    • MPN: NV308UT
    • Operating System/COA: Windows Vista Business (32bit) Installed
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.80GHz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Hard Drive: 250GB
    • Optical: DVD±RW (±R DL) with LightScribe Technology

Detailed specs of it at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:3160

I may partition it and leave Vista on a small part of the HD (in case I need to use it to update the firmware on a Pentax dslr). What % of the HD would you suggest I leave for Vista. I was thinking 80 or 90 % dedicated to Ubuntu

Additional info: I have the Ubuntu 12.04 install disk I bought from Conical
    Last edited by michael-piziak; December 17th, 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: font

Beans
    Hidden!

Looks pretty good, but knowing M$ Vista I think you will be unlikely to shrink the 250GB disk to only 10 or 20% of full disk size; Vista was extremely space-hungry last time I tried and I could not get it down to anywhere that, though I admit it was a fairly well used Vista. If this is a new installation it may be possible to shrink it further.

So, boot to Vista in safe mode if possible, temporarily disable virtual memory and defrag a few times. Use M$ Disk-management to shrink as far as possible then enable virtual memory again and check it will still boot OK. Now you can install Ubuntu.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Thanks for your help and advice !
    cheers

Michael