Thread: choice of wallpaper not saved

Beans

choice of wallpaper not saved

lubuntu 12.04, just installed to reanimate an elderly PC that couldn't cope with ubuntu any more ... I'm pleased with it, which I expected after positive experiences earlier on a laptop and on a netbook, but have hit one problem so far: I can select a wallpaper, but there's no [Save] option visible in the dialogue and (sure enough) I get a different wallpaper each time I start up. What do I have to do to impose and confirm my choice? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: choice of wallpaper not saved

I have used Lubuntu 12.04, but never had that problem. But you have a much bigger problem with Lubuntu 12.04, that maybe is causing your problem with the wallpaper.

Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life! It has not LTS as standard Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04. So there will be no updates, not even security updates, for the Lubuntu specific program packages. I recommend that you use either Lubuntu 13.10 or some light-weight flavour of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, for example

- Xubuntu with end of life April 2015
    - Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks with end of life April 2017
    - LXLE with end of life April 2017
    - Bodhi Linux with end of life April 2017

See also this link about old hardware.

Beans

• installing lubuntu 12.04 is indeed intended as a step on the way to installing 13.10
    • the update manager, with Notify me of a new LTS version selected, has so far said nothing at all <g>
    • surely end-of-life for an LTS release does not automatically mean "the platform will now begin to self-destruct, function by function"?
    Last edited by engine; January 5th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Beans

Are you using the Wallpaper Selection Box in the Desktop Preferences dialog?

As you say there is no save option - you use the Open button. Use the browse button on the right end of the wallpaper selection box, browse to and select the new wallpaper, and Open. The wallpaper should change immediately, and you close the Desktop Preferences dialog. That is how it should work.

Update Manager:

There is no new LTS version available so update manager won't offer a newer release if update manager is set to "notify for long term support versions", which means only those. The next would be 14.04, in April 2014, when I think Lubuntu is planning to have an LTS.
    Last edited by Dennis N; January 5th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by engine View Post
    • installing lubuntu 12.04 is indeed intended as a step on the way to installing 13.10
    • the update manager, with Notify me of a new LTS version selected, has so far said nothing at all <g>
    • surely end-of-life for an LTS release does not automatically mean "the platform will now begin to self-destruct, function by function"?
    If you want to upgrade 12.04 to new versions you have to do it via 12.10, 13.04 , 13.10 and wait at least until end of April to the first LTS version of Lubuntu, 14.04. This process is very likely to fail somewhere, and it is much better to go directly to 13.10.

Why did you install 12.04? Do you have problems with PAE? In that case I suggest that you use fake-PAE, available with Lubuntu 13.10, or run some other 12.04 LTS flavour or re-spin. See these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

and particularly the start and end of Old hardware brought back to life

Please specify your computer! It will make it easier to give relevant advice.

Beans

Now on Lubuntu 13.10, with a number of small but irritating problems including … random wallpaper. The option is disabled in Desktop Session settings. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

What happens if you right-click on the background and select a wallpaper via the pop-up menu?