Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk failure in multiple boot system, how to remove non-existing systems

Beans

Hard disk failure in multiple boot system, how to remove non-existing systems

Hello,

One of my 2 hard disks died, taking with it the Windows operating system as well as some older Ubuntu versions.
    I am using Grub to boot Ubuntu 12.04 and what used to be several windows distros are still in the boot menu.

I am happy this will be Christmas cleaning but how do I clean the grub menu? Installing Windows on a new hard disk
    will automatically correct the menu? Because Grub asks me to manually skip mounting disks that are not mountable...

I would like to try the latest Ubuntu distro as well on the new hard disk.

Thanks for reading!
    Happy holidays and best wishes,
    Zuheyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hard disk failure in multiple boot system, how to remove non-existing systems

Where is your grub installed? on the good HDD or dead HDD?

If its on the good HDD then remove the dead HDD and run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    after booting into ubuntu 12.04, that should clear up the Grub menu.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Re: Hard disk failure in multiple boot system, how to remove non-existing systems

Thank you!

Sorry, silly of me, thanks to Heavens, I am saved, the grub is installed on the good disk and
    it boots. Thank you!

Beans

Hello,

I closed the thread as solved thinking it would be when I throw away the bad disk and update grub
    but it did not solve the problem. I even installed a parallel windows and grub found my old windows with it
    and I installed also another 12.04 additional one whiel playing with Live CD.

However, I still get that cannot mount the disk, waitm, enter S to skip, M for manual configuration message...

Happy holidays, thanks very much for reading!

Zuheyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Download and Run the BootInfo Script. Use this to copy-paste the contents of your 'Results.txt file here as a link.

Beans
    Distro

When we run update-grub the command runs a Grub utility called os-prober. It is os-prober that searches for other operating systems and if it finds them it includes them in the configuration files that Grub uses to produce that menu. This is why it is recommended that the faulty disk with those versions of Windows and Ubuntu on it be disconnected. Then os-prober will not probe that hard disk. There is another command that you can run after running update-grub

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    I find that sometimes we need this command to make the changes in the Grub configuration files active. In other words, change the Grub menu.

That command will work if there is only one hard disk in the machine. If there is a second hard disk then you may need to change /dev/sda to /dev/sdb if you are running the command from Ubuntu on the second hard disk (sdb) and not the first hard disk (sda).

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hello,

Much appreciated, thank you.

Here is the link:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6635604/

It is a bit long I am afraid. Thank you very much. Regards, Zuheyr

Beans

Thank you for the response.

I have replaced the faulty disk which turned out to be the first hard disk, so Ubuntu 12.04 happened to be
    on the /dev/sdb. Mainly I left it to boot-repair recommended corrections but I have also tried other solutions including
    advanced options with purging the grub and then creating a new one with the chroot etc...

At this moment in time when I have created the bootinfo script results above, there is another 12.04 in sda that the grub does not detect.

Thank you very much for your time! Regards, Zuheyr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your sda is now a 3TB drive with gpt partitioning. Windows will only boot from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI, but you show a standard BIOS type install (labelled 1TB, which probably was MBR)? Also the Windows in sdb3 has no boot files. Typically Windows installs all boot files to the BIOS boot drive and partition with the boot flag. So unless sda is BIOS and has a working Windows you cannot boot sdb3. But since a primary partition you may be able to copy boot files to sdb2 and use a Windows repairCD or flash drive to make it work.

You have installed grub2's boot loader to many partitions. That does not work normally and should only be done if you only have no other way to boot. With several hard drives you can install grub to any drive for any install. Best to have grub installed to same drive as your install so when drive fails you can still boot another drive.
    If installing grub to a gpt partitioned drive you need to create a tiny 1 or 2MB unformatted partition with gparted and right click manage flags to add the bios_grub flag. It can be anywhere on drive.

But with new gpt partitioned drives I also suggest a 300 to 400MB fat32 partition at the start. When drive is then converted to UEFI boot on a new system you do not have to totally reformat to add the efi partition.

You may want to houseclean some old kernels. I like to use synaptic.
    Determine your current kernel:
    uname -a
    uname -r
    In synaptic search for linux-image to choose to delete old ones
    Also command line in post #8
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283521

If your boot install has any partitions from sda and sda is not working then you will get error messages on those partitions not being mounted. Or if a new drive with new UUIDs then you need to update UUIDs. I did not attempt to compare them all.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How did you determine that one of your HDD is faulty? I hope you are absolutely sure that your HDD is at fault.
    Boot-Repair utility creates a LINK to 'Bootinfo Summary', you must post that link here as well; so we know what boot-repair found and how it repaired the boot or what it recommends.

Boot with the Live DVD/USb and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo blkid
    Like oldfred points out, you have some house-cleaning to do as you have accumulated some old and unused kernels. We can do this later. Lets just get your system booting again.
    (If you can then please don't make any changes to HDD's between you posting the outputs and us replying).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast