Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I switch from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu?

Beans

Should I switch from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu?

I have a new PC. I am inundated with high CPU usage messages. It is a Gateway with windows 8.1 (I upgraded) processor is AMD E1-2500 APU. The computer is extremely slow. (or I am impatient). Will switching to Ubuntu help me? I will use my PC for photos, and watching DVD's and playing music.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should I switch?

Hi bgast7851. Welcome to the forum

You should definitively... try Ubuntu by using the media installation as a live CD/USB. Download Ubuntu, install the ISO image on a CD or a USB using the proper tools and boot into it as you were going to install Ubuntu.

When presented with the main options select 'Try Ubuntu without installing it'. After a few seconds you'll get to the desktop and you'll be able to run Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.

If are pleased, you should consider installing Ubuntu so that you keep Windows, and setup a dual boot system.

After a few weeks of using Ubuntu, you'll have a better, and grounded, assessment if you should make the definitive switch.

Just my thoughts. Come here often and have fun.
    Regards.

Beans

All in all! YES! All the things you commonly do in windows can be done in Ubuntu! Even Gaming now with propritery Steam as well. I just took the plunge and switched after using windows OS's for nearly 12 years. I am just tired of all the bloating in windows over the years. Ubuntu is really quick ligtht. Just search the internet do as much reasarch as you can cause there is a lot out there. Then make your choice. In some instances photo,video and music is actually better in linux enviornment than windows, again that is a flavor thing as well. Many many companies are really starting to realize that Linx/Unix systems are well worth looking into for market share to produce software for. Example Android is just a minture proprietariy form of Linux and most people do now know that. Your all inclusive ipads, again another form of Linux... So its your choice. Go for the Plunge its well worth it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Don't be of the mind that it is an either/or decision. As papibe suggests, you can dual boot. If you find you still need Window from time to time, just go with the dual boot forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    If you find you still need Window from time to time, just go with the dual boot forever.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bgast7851 View Post
    I have a new PC. I am inundated with high CPU usage messages. It is a Gateway with windows 8.1 (I upgraded) processor is AMD E1-2500 APU. The computer is extremely slow. (or I am impatient). Will switching to Ubuntu help me? I will use my PC for photos, and watching DVD's and playing music.
    Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums

Without a doubt, Linux will be faster (if not MUCH faster) than Windows 8.1

However, Ubuntu AFAIK is the heaviest among the family members as per this article.

I'd suggest to try Xubuntu OR Ubuntu GNOME!

But again, all in all, Ubuntu will run faster than Windows 8

Enjoy and have fun!

Beans

I'm kind of frustrated. Older computers I might be able to figure this out but not on this new computer. I have a Gateway. If I would have had more money I would have tried to get a more expensive computer. Anyway I downloaded and burned Ubuntu to DVD. I went to start up and changed boot order to CD/DVD. But it isn't working. It keeps booting into windows. Perhaps there is something else I should change in start up menu? I also tried Mint. Same problem except with 64 I go as far as some kind of an x-server error message. Maybe there is a key on the keyboard I should press?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might want to check that the disks you're burning are properly burned
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
    This might also help with burning tips and whatnots
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

The discs appear to be burned correctly. Would burning at a slower speed make a difference?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bgast7851 View Post
    The discs appear to be burned correctly. Would burning at a slower speed make a difference?
    Hi bgast7851,

When you insert DVD do you have your computer set to boot from DVD first. You can set this up in your bios or use the hotkey on boot. Most computers are F10 or F12. Good Luck
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast