Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my default firewall a) working b) adequate?

Beans

Is my default firewall a) working b) adequate?

Hi,
    I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 as a non-geek, new Linux user for a couple of months now, a happy refugee from Windows, gradually finding out more, but mostly content to let the car run without looking into the engine.
    I see from a Forum search here that there is an inbuilt firewall called iptables, and as I understand it from replies to a similar query there earlier, I probably don't need anything more to go with it, and that Firestarter is just a front end to configure it. I probably wouldn't understand what to do to configure it anyway
    I did initially think "I need one of those" so installed Firestarter, but it claims it's not functioning anyway - the system log does not exist, it tells me.

I tried typing "iptables" into the dash search bar, and nothing comes up. Does this mean for some reason I haven't got the firewall & need to install something?

And if it is there, how do I get to see if it's working or not? Or is it just another bit of the engine I don't need to poke as long as it actually is there?

Would I do better to lose Firestarter?

Sorry, that's lots of questions, but they're all part of the same issue.

Thanks,
    Richard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Is my default firewall a) working b) adequate?

Firestarter hasn't been maintained for several years, so I would "lose it" as you say. Try gufw instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for gufw

If you want to look under the hood you can try reading about iptables with extensions. You can do a read-only dump of what you have like this:

Code:
    sudo iptables -vL | less
    or this

Code:
    sudo iptables-save | less
    But they may be hard to read, especially at first.

For many tasks, gufw will do the job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

iptables is a cli program/thingy.
    The dash shows, for the most part, gui programs.
    The dash shows applications which have a .desktop file.
    iptables doesn't have one.

By default, Ubuntu comes with a firewall.It is installed but not enabled.
    iptables is installed, but Ubuntu has another frontend for it called ufw(another cli) installed as well.
    Does that make sense to you.
    To see if the firewall is enabled try this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo ufw status
    active = on
    inactive=off

If you want a gui firewall program, gufw is probably the best thing right now.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks all for these instant replies! Deadflowr, your line copied into the terminal shows it's active, which is very reassuring.

I installed gufw, and its default appears to be off, and so it needs turning on each time the machine is switched on, by whichever of us is using it. This is liable to get forgotten, I suspect, so given that I honestly don't understand the options which configuring offers me - yes, I will do some reading! - it seems that perhaps I'm best not to use it, just to let the default one get on with it. Do you users of more experience than I, feel that this is protection enough?
    Again, thanks,
    Richard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

gufw is a graphical front-end for ufw, which is a text front end for iptables, which itself is also text. UFW stays on once you turn it on, even if you used GUFW to do it, and even if the machine is rebooted. So no need to remember it.

A firewall, also called a packet filter, only selects which ports are accessible to the outside. If you happen to have services running on the ports you open, such as SSH or Apache2, then those services will be available outside the machine. If those services are secure then the ports you open are secure. With more complex things like Wordpress and similar tools you start to get into a grey area. That's from the server perspective, of course. From the client perspective, you generally have permissive rules that allow clients to reach out through the firewall and connect to remote machines. There you might be more effective looking at AppArmor to restrict what the client program can access while running. However that can get fairly detailed. I'm not sure but I think there is no simple graphical tool to work with AppArmor.

Beans

Thanks Lars.
    After a quick "introduction to" query on the net - I really am ignorant, as soon as any abbreviations or acronyms get into the conversation! - I realise we probably inevitably use SSH, inasmuch as we buy things online. We always check they're secure sites, so I hope that covers security there.
    I'm not aware that I use Wordpress, since we don't do blogging.
    I'm interpreting your answer to suggest that I simply let it get on with it by itself for now, at least!
    Thanks again,
    Richard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

SSH would be if you are logging in to your own machine from other machines, maybe from on the LAN maybe from out on the net. So you only need to open up ports if you do that, or if you are serving web pages from your computer. So if it is just a desktop machine, the defaults are fine.

One thing that you might tweak, and it is easy to do so, is to change the default in GUFW from deny to reject. There are a number of reasons to do that, but it's up to how you want it.
    http://www.chrisbrenton.org/2009/07/...ll-drop-rules/

Beans

Done

Beans

There are a number of reasons to do that, but it's up to how you want it.
    Well, there is actually a lot of controversy about this point.

For example, in the article Lars posted we see the statement:
    The only time nothing is returned consistently is when a firewall with a drop rule is in the way. So by dropping traffic you are not stealthing the firewall, you are advertising it.
    Unless I am mistaken, this statement is incorrect. Nothing is returned if EITHER a firewall with a drop rule is in the way, OR there is nothing at all there. And there is no way the port scanner can tell the difference. Now of course there might be firewalls further upstream that return something, but that does not help the port scanner make the determination if his intended target exists or not.

The point about syn floods is interesting, but the server is no better off it the spoofed address is nonexistent or offline. In fact the attacker would probably take care to spoof a nonexistent address, if he has any sense, because then he is certain nothing will be returned to the server. Anyway it's the server's problem to deal with such attacks and I suspect there are plenty of tools out there for it to do so.

Anyway if you are behind a router you don't need a firewall because the router has one. Well, that was the old answer. These days with NSA compromising routers with old firmware, it probably makes a lot of sense to run firewalls in your private network machines.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be any kind of expert. I just question things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast