Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New vs. Old hardware

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post
    forget fedora... if your netbook has an atom cpu try this:

http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=7319.0

wi fi should be working by now, I've had a bunch of hp minis and acers and toshibas and the newer kernels seem to function otb.
    Thanks! It was an Asus 1005HA (I think). Broadcom or Atheros wifi chip, and BackTrack 5 worked, but not Fedora.

*facepalm*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I have a free, lierally free Lenovo B590 , core i3, which came with 4 GB of RAM; I invested the $90 for the extra 4 GB and Ubuntu 13.xx and it really flies.

Beans

I like the idea of buying an older system and upgrading it to perform better than it did brand new. For instance, I bought an older Dell Latitude from 2009 and installed a bunch of memory and replaced the hard drive with an SSD. That computer now boots in less than 15 seconds. Furthermore, I made that happen for a fraction of the cost of a brand new computer. Now, I'm doing the same thing to this laptop I'm using to post this reply, which is an IBM ThinkPad T60p. I bought it on eBay for about $140 and I'm going to install an SSD for about $80-90 when I save up for it and then spend another $60 on 4GB of RAM. When that happens, I'll have a laptop that boots in a matter of seconds and it will perform well enough for just about anything I could want to do with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My plans were to stick with my old (10 yrs) desktop until I discovered I couldn't run unity in 3d with my AGP 128mb GPU. I read somewhere you need at least 512mb for that. I couldn't find a cheap second-hand 512mb AGP card in my vicinity (not paying more mail cost than the value of the card), so I decided to replace the entire box.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345