Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Graphical Glitches on Ubuntu 13.1?

Beans

Weird Graphical Glitches on Ubuntu 13.1?

So I installed Ubuntu several days ago and I'm loving it so far. However, there is one issue I've been having.
    Ubuntu has some graphical glitches on my PC that are a bit odd. I've tried taking pics of a couple of them but they always stop as soon as I take a snap shot. I was able to get one minor one though as you can see in my attachments. What it seems to be doing is the borders of windows and almost being sucked into the top left of the screen. They're seemingly pulled off of the actual window and stretched to the top left. Weird. Also, sometimes my launch sidebar things (I'm new :/) flicker really fast and sometimes disappear for no apparent reason. The program most affected it seems is the terminal. When I move it, it always gets this big gray blob in the middle and sometimes half of it'll disappear for no reason and I have to click it again for it to come back. It's not cleanly cut in half either. Really jagged.

I'll try to get a better pic for you guys if I can.

Thank in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 16th, 2013 at 04:40 AM.

Beans

Re: Weird Graphical Glitches on Ubuntu 13.1?

Anyone?

Beans

What it seems to be doing is the borders of windows and almost being sucked into the top left of the screen. They're seemingly pulled off of the actual window and stretched to the top left. Weird.
    That is a feature, not a bug, known as the global menu. I find it weird too, but somehow some people are convinced that this is a great feature since the Mac has it. I have no idea since I have never used a Mac.

I think there are ways to disable it on a per application basis but you will have to google for it or wait for someone else to tell you. It used to be really easy to remove it but because of unrelated changes in gnome if you do it now the whole menu will be missing from gnome applications like Nautilus (File) and Evince (document viewer) because now their menus are detached from the main windows and stick to the top bar by design.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 16th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

Sure it's not a bug?

Got a better pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Ok the background does look like a glitch. What is your graphic card? What graphic driver do you use?

Beans

Sorry I'm a bit late. Haven't touched this computer in a while and kinda forgot about this issue.

Graphics card? AMD.

Driver? No idea.

How would I go about checking for driver?

Ran a command I got from googling how to check. Here ya go if you need more info:
    lspci | grep VGA
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7520G]
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 22nd, 2013 at 08:24 AM.

Beans

Install the proprietary driver. This guy seems to have same problem and get it fixed by installing fglrx
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2195012

Beans

Obvious noob here. How do I know which package to install and how do I install .tar files?

I get that their archives like .rar and .zip files but how do I install from them? It doesn't look like there is any file to run the install within it

Beans

Read me from installer
    http://pastebin.com/t1uaXty8

Did the first part running the sudo apt-get command. Don't know what to do now

Beans

Final bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast