Thread: Resize extended partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Resize extended partition

I am dual booting windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 Here's a screenshot of my gparted:
    Screenshot from 2013-12-15 17:08:40.png
    The first two are windows, then I have a data patition, then 32 GiB of unallocated space, and then an extended partition with Ubuntu, swap, and windows recovery. I want to make the extended partition bigger (using the unallocated space) so I can make another logical partiton. I booted with a live cd and tried to resize it to use the unallocated space, but I got this message, so I didn't apply the changes...
    Screenshot from 2013-12-15 17:09:55.png
    I would just like advice on how to safely resize the partition without messing up my existing stuff...thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by ka2012; December 16th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Resize extended partition

This is a common error message, I know when I have removed Ubuntu from some machines doing a dual boot and I extend the partition for Windows I have to fix the MBR using console. I am unsure how to do this in Ubuntu but once you extend the drive you will have to fix the boot. I will see if I can find a guide or maybe someone else may shed some light on the subject.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would boot from a live gparted USB/DVD/CD and then extend the partition. Remember the first thing to do is make a backup before doing anything.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would boot from a live gparted USB/DVD/CD and then extend the partition.
    Thats what I did do, but I got that error message so I stopped. I just want to know if anything bad would happen if I continued/how to resize it safely. After I clicked "ok" the table looked fine on gparted, but I don't know if anything bad would have happened if I actually applied it.

Also I would like to clarify that I don't want to make the ubuntu partition bigger, just the extended partition that it is in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your /dev/sda4 as well as /dev/sda7 would increase in total size. Increasing or decreasing on the back side of a extended partition usually creates little to no problems but can on the front side. Always backup everything first before you make any changes of any kind.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )