Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mupen64PLus

Hybrid View

Beans

Mupen64PLus

My info:
    Device: Chromebook Acer C720

Lately I've been successfully figuring out how to compile, or get the latest repos for emulators, installing the latest builds and such. But one emulator gives me so much trouble. Mupen64Plus. The N64 emulator best for Ubuntu.

I first added a PPA, from Sven Ecklemann. This installs Mupen64Plus 2.0, but now I don't know how to use it after.

I understand that there's no GUI, and you're forced to use the terminal for it.
    So in terminal, I type "mupen64plus [Rom directory and rom name]" But I get an error, it doesn't want to load the z64/v64 file. The roms are in my flash drive in a folder.

I then tried downloading the source of the latest build, but dear god it's complicated. I have no idea how to build it.

I'm basically stuck, to asking questions. Searching usually gives me results I'm not looking for. Any help running this emulator would be appreciated.

Wine with Project64 is not an option, the games run at unplayable speeds. Though Wine does work with Mupen64 0.5.1, which is really ancient. 2005 vs 2013

Also, I had no luck getting a frontend to work, after installing mupen64plus.
    I installed m64py frontend, and when I launch it, nothing happens. My main concern is to get Mupen64plus working, with a frontend of any kind.
    This fight seems to be for nothing, Banjo Tooie crashes, and zelda majora's mask crashes occasionally too. Paper Mario has flickering. This is what's shown on the compatibility list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help getting Mupen64PLus working on Ubuntu

I'm not sure, but I think you need to run the saveoptions first
    Look at the help options first,
    Code:
    mupen64plus -h
    and set whatever parameters you want.
    Then
    Code:
    mupen64plus --saveoptions
    I believe this generates the config file.
    The config file is located in /home/user/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg
    You can look it over and make sure the controller settings and plugins are listed, and/or listed correctly.
    When that's all taken care of run try running a romfile again
    Code:
    mupen64plus /full/path/to/filename
    I find running the full path name of the rom to work best.
    So if it's on a flash drive, the path is most likely to be /media/something(whatever the flash drive is called)/filename.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Out of everyone on other sites, you've been supportive.

Mupen64plus just doesn't want to work. It fails to load any rom files. I can't even use a parameter.
    When I enter: mupen64plus --saveoptions
    (Or any parameter)
    It says that it fails to load rom. But Im not loading any roms here o_0

So then I tried this: mupen64plus /home/matt/desktop/Super Mario 64.v64
    But it says that Super, Mario, and 64 are incorrect commands.
    So then I tried the same command, this time without spacing out the rom file name like so: SuperMario64.v64
    And it just says it can't load the rom. This rom is indeed legit, it worked on my desktop computer perfect.
    Yes I moved this specific game to my desktop to see if my flash drive was the problem for not being able to load games.

On the otherhand, I tried to use retroarch to use mupen64plus on it, but that emulator also fails at loading roms. That goes for any rom.
    I load up the mupen64plus dynamic core in retroarch, then load a rom. But everything goes bad from there. Here's the error I get for retroarch: http://pastebin.com/vTA0Yx2w

I can indeed find my mupen64 config file in: /.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg
    everything seems fine in it. I'm still at a fresh install of Mupen64plus, no options changed. The UI works fine, I can even have mupen64plus show me the list of parameters, so the emulator is loading up fine. I just can't figure out the error, shouldn't it work right away? This is the most complex emulator I've used. retroarch being the 2nd.

As for frontend GUI's, all of them seem complicated to use. M64PY has an installer, and creates a shortcut file. But nothing happens when you load it. As for Wxmupen64plus, I have no idea how to access it after installing it. Then I can't figure out how to install Wxwidgets, which is required to run Wxmupen64plus. There's zero instructions on their site, the linux/ubuntu field is cruel like that. Nothing wants me to get N64 emulators working. My only hope is mupen64 0.5, which works surprisingly good. Just not with my favorite games like Banjo Tooie which crashes. Was hoping to use a more updated emulator that can handle it better.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mupen64PLus

Try using the quotes method for the file path
    Code:
    mupen64plus "/home/something/something/my game.something"
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Wow thanks a lot, that worked perfect.
    I know why it was shooting out errors. It was the spaces in the file path. Any kind of space is considered a new command.
    You solved my issue, I appreciate it!

But as a side question, how would I set a parameter without spacing? Do I add the quote around the entire command?
    "mupen64plus --gfx mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2 /media/removable/USB Drive/Emulators/N64/game name.z64"

Do I have to set the gfx plugin every time I launch a game, or just one time?

I'm creating launchers for each game, I'm wondering if I have to set a parameter between the command.

Also, how do I choose where the save files are, or is there a default directory for them already?
    Last edited by MattKimura; December 17th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MattKimura View Post
    Do I have to set the gfx plugin every time I launch a game, or just one time?

I'm creating launchers for each game, I'm wondering if I have to set a parameter between the command.

Also, how do I choose where the save files are, or is there a default directory for them already?
    If you're going to create launchers, then set any extra parameter per launcher.
    I usually set my basic parameter settings(like resolution and maybe default plugin here or there)and issue the --saveoptions command, which in turn save that as the default settings.
    However, some games need extra workings, here and there, and in my created launchers I add those to their commands.
    But I also use unity and as such utilize the quicklist feature, so my launchers have various options, like loading the game in fullscreen or window mode, without having to press any extra buttons when it loads.
    I would suggest looking into making aliases for the extended command, if you want to load the game through the command line.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/73768/
    The default save location is in /home/user./local/share/mupen64plus/save.
    Here's the default kayboard layout
    https://code.google.com/p/mupen64plu.../KeyboardSetup
    and here's the key listing that it uses
    http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1....e/SDL_keysym.h
    These can be changed in the mupen64plus.cfg file in the .config folder.

Edit: so today I decided to play some on my trusty install, and as it happens the version for trusty is 2.0.
    As such, it has a newer config file and has this added line
    Code:
    #Controller configuration mode: 0=Fully Manual, 1=Auto with named SDL Device, 2=Fully automatic
    mode = 2
    this made the config reset the keybinding to the default state.
    setting the mode to = 0 seems to have fixed that.
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 17th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Beans

Yes, and M64Py is another good one.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i happily use M64Py version 0.1.0. You shouldn't need the quotes around the entire command, only the path and filename when the game name has a space in it's name because the various parameters shouldn't have any spaces in them to begin with. Linux/Unix hates spaces and developers know this so they wouldn't code in a parameter which has a space
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Beans

It's very difficult to get help with this emulator elsewhere, thanks for being so persistant to help me on this.

Those links were useful, I saved a screenshot of the controls and keyboard mappings for a later use if I ever need it.

I still can't figure out how to enter parameters though, I tried: mupen64plus--saveoptions Without spaces and it doesn't work. I tried other parameters, I can't get them to work. I think this emulator is already using glide64mk2 on my end, since I can alt tab out of the emulator and see that the name of the process is glide64. Now I just want to enable fullscreen for every game, with maxed resolution (Fullscreen is enabled by default). My max resolution is 1366 x 780. which works perfect on all the other emulators.

Also, I tried the aliases trick, but nothing happens. I created agi, agu, and my own command named m64 which runs: mupen64plus "Directory"
    But it tells me that it's not a valid command. Do I just type those words for it to work, or is there more to it?
    Heres how I have it set up in a text file called .bash_aliases
    [spoiler]
    alias agi='sudo apt-get install'

alias agu='sudo apt-get update'

alias m64='mupen64plus "directory"'
    [/spoiler]

Edit: The guide says to add the bash file in the home directory, but I think I was supposed to put that file in the main root directory. So that may be the problem with that.

My last mission is to connect a gamepad, or a PS3 controller via bluetooth as an input. Is it possible to do this with mupen64plus?
    Seems like the only way to change input is within the cfg file. Which only shows keyboard mappings.
    Last edited by MattKimura; December 18th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast