Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: A min # of posts?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    4

    A min # of posts?

    To edit my profile, this is heresy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    4

    Re: A min # of posts?

    is that a joke? lol

    I know. I've read it. It just seems really dumb to alienate the people who do use, or TRY to use, these forums for the powers of good

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: A min # of posts?

    Quote Originally Posted by de Horse View Post
    is that a joke? lol

    I know. I've read it. It just seems really dumb to alienate the people who do use, or TRY to use, these forums for the powers of good
    Its no joke. 10 support-related posts is not alot to ask for considering the amount of time we spend dealing with spam.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    5,053
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A min # of posts?

    I think it's been that way since you joined the forums.
    In fact, it used to be a much larger number (50 posts)
    Then they dropped it to something like 25.
    Now it's 10.

    Best way to increase your count is to help other users in the support sections.
    Don't bean-hunt(post blatantly irrelevant posts)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    4

    Re: A min # of posts?

    oops. WELL....

    my bad.

    Thanks for the advice.

    And sorry for being rude, toz, your efforts are appreciated.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: A min # of posts?

    I think this is also for security reasons? When you can get an signature without 10 posts you can advertise for an other website for example or post spam link

    P.S. Is it also true that you need 10+ posts before you can post links, otherwise the http:// will be changed to h**p://?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: A min # of posts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark de J View Post
    P.S. Is it also true that you need 10+ posts before you can post links, otherwise the http:// will be changed to h**p://?[/I]
    New members can post links in the body of a post with their first post. Some forums restrict this because of spammers, but we prefer to catch them in the act, so to speak, and ban them. Visible hyperlinks make it easier to catch the spammers, and our membership is very good at picking up the spam posts early and reporting them - for which many thanks.

    The 10-post restriction (originally 50) was introduced a couple of years ago because of signature spam, which is much more of an insidious problem, and a very big problem then. Spammers would sign up, spam their links in their profile signatures, but not post anything. The only way of detecting these was for forum staff to laboriously trawl through the profiles of new members. You might ask, was this really a problem? Yes it was. Search engine crawler bots can find profiles as easily as most things on this forum and they index the links, thus achieving what the spammers want - search-engine optimisation of their target sites. This is more valuable to them than selling direct to the people who read spam posts - and an abuse of forum facilities.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: A min # of posts?

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    New members can post links in the body of a post with their first post. Some forums restrict this because of spammers, but we prefer to catch them in the act, so to speak, and ban them. Visible hyperlinks make it easier to catch the spammers, and our membership is very good at picking up the spam posts early and reporting them - for which many thanks.

    The 10-post restriction (originally 50) was introduced a couple of years ago because of signature spam, which is much more of an insidious problem, and a very big problem then. Spammers would sign up, spam their links in their profile signatures, but not post anything. The only way of detecting these was for forum staff to laboriously trawl through the profiles of new members. You might ask, was this really a problem? Yes it was. Search engine crawler bots can find profiles as easily as most things on this forum and they index the links, thus achieving what the spammers want - search-engine optimisation of their target sites. This is more valuable to them than selling direct to the people who read spam posts - and an abuse of forum facilities.
    Thanks for the responses, is it also a restriction that I can't post images in my signature?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: A min # of posts?

    Regarding spam posts, I don't remember the last time I saw one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •