Thread: NAT 2 NAT for VNC server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question NAT 2 NAT for VNC server

Hello,

Does any one know any NAT 2 NAT server?

I want to use a remote the desktop by VNC in similar way to TeamViewer because -as you know- it's impossible to access any remote desktop by VNC behind NAT router so I need to use a relay to fix this issue where Logmein and TeamViewer offer this solution for free (and commercially too) while I'm looking for an open source solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: NAT 2 NAT for VNC server

I'm not sure about your server/client requirements. If you have one or two locations with machines you'd like to access, Guacamole may be of interest.

Please offer more information about how you'd like to utilize the setup. How many servers and clients? How many locations? Do you want to utilize this
    as a support for many vnc servers?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Does you router have public IPs? You can use port forwarding.
    Do you have a public facing server on your LAN? You can create an openvpn server/client setting and then use the tunnel for point-to-point connectivity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    You can create an openvpn server/client setting and then use the tunnel for point-to-point connectivity.
    That would be my suggestion as well. Use a static-key configuration for simplicity.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please offer more information about how you'd like to utilize the setup. How many servers and clients?
    In case I found a solution works in same way of TeamVierwer I suppose I've one server (the relay) and tens of clients (each two clients connect together one of them control the other)

How many locations? Do you want to utilize this
    as a support for many vnc servers?
    The locations aren't specified and as I said above I consider there are one server works as a relay just for connecting two PCs which one of them control the other.

Now I wonder what if your suggestion (Guacamole) may work in the architecture I mentioned above (simply I want an alternative to TeamViewer).
    As I understood from Guacamole Architecture; it consider the server is the computer where all the users connect to by different protocols... does it?

So in case of using Guacamole; Does PC1 can controls (remote desktop) PC2 and vice versa (where both of them are connected to Guacamole)?

See the map I've imagined:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does you router have public IPs? You can use port forwarding.
    Do you have a public facing server on your LAN?
    No, both networks are behind a proxy and both of them don't have public IP

You can create an openvpn server/client setting and then use the tunnel for point-to-point connectivity.
    OpenVPN doesn't solve my problem because this issue related to NAT to NAT.
    TeamViewer and LogmeIn fix this issue because both of them offer relay server so in case any PC from NAT1 want to remote desktop its content it send the data to the relay (ex. LogMeIn server) then the relay redirect the data to the target PC on NAT2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    That would be my suggestion as well. Use a static-key configuration for simplicity.
    Well, I never tested OpenVPN static key, I'll try to apply it to see what if it will work or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

As you can see from the Guacamole Architecture map... I don't think you can traverse a connection from PC1 to PC2. You will need a Guacamole server
    behind each NAT that you want to connect to. You'll also need access to running web server at each NAT or access to open port for Guacamole.

You may want to check out PortFusion.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbnoimi View Post
    OpenVPN doesn't solve my problem because this issue related to NAT to NAT.
    OpenVPN tunnels can work through a NAT on one end, the client, but the server needs to be publicly visible. You could use port forwarding to expose the server's port.

I run a number of tunnels that connect to my publicly-visible server sitting at Linode. Many of the clients are behind NATs, but the server is out on the public Internet.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users