Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu slow loading browser, new pages, programs

Beans

Lubuntu slow loading browser, new pages, programs

My computer is a Dell 4300, Pentium 4 1.6 GB with 636 MB Ram and a SATA HD 160 GB. Lubuntu 13.1. Installation via iso disk.

The system is up and running fine.....except that it is terribly slow loading the browser or new pages. I use Chromium but Fire Fox is the same. In fact programs tend to be slow to load.

I used Task Manager to look at the CPU and RAM usage during the browser opening. Memory wasn't taxed, using less than half the 621 MB available. However, the CPU is maxed out at 100% during the loading.

I chose Lubuntu since it is the light version....vs regular Ubuntu. I also tried Puppy linux with the same result.

Help. Is this a hardware problem? or is there possibly some setting of Lubuntu that I have overlooked.

PS: I am a computer user-programmer since 1960 worked with every MS OS since DOS. But, I'm fairly new to Linux. Though, I've had Ubuntu on a computer for several years...just playing with it. Am trying to get more proficient.

Thanks,

Ken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Lubuntu slow loading browser, new pages, programs

Hi Ken and welcome to Lubuntu and the forums.

Thanks for posting with sufficient HW specs and important details to give us a good head start. What I'm wondering is: what do you mean by slow? Can you give us a rough estimate of how long it takes to load? Actually time it if you can. Also, how many tabs do you typically inherit from prior sessions and have to open during invocation? Last but not least, once you have either of the browsers running and it is well into its slow mode, please open a terminal and post output of
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    Code:
    free -m
    Code:
    top -in3
    The last command puts top through three iterations and then exits. Hopefully, the last iteration will capture the CPU usage of your browser. You can leave top running all the time simply by running
    Code:
    ...in a terminal to see what processes are taking up your processor cycles at the current moment. <q> will quit top. As a rule, graphical tools like Task Manager are nowhere near as informative in Linux as command-line query tools (they're not informatve in Windows either, but that's another topic for another day). Please enclose output in [CODE] tags (the "#" button at the top of Advanced Replies) for better readability.

On the face of it, I would say that a Pentium 4 may be the issue, since it is a rather slow CPU by modern standards, but it all depends on ones definition of "slow", so we will await your response.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans

Thanks....
    It took about 15 seconds for Chrome to crank up to one tab "new tab page"
    It took about 8 seconds to open "Intellicast" weather

cat ......swappiness = 60

free -m
    mem = 621 total, 533 used, 88 free, 0 shared, 45 buffers, 280 cached
    +/- buffers = 207 used, 414 free
    swap = 948 total, 0 used, 948 free

top -in3
    PID 1607, USER ken, PR 20, NI 0, VIRT 230m, RES 52m, SHR 25m, S R, %CPU 37, %MEM 8.5, Time + 3:29.05 (first Chrome rept)
    PID 1593, USER ken, PR 20, NI 0, VIRT 225m, RES 73m, SHR 27m, S R, %CPU 17.8, %MEM 11.8, Time+ 1:48.74 (2nd Chrome rept)

Once on a page it works fairly well...but there is a little sluggishness in scrolling at times.

Thanks,

Ken

Beans

I find Firefox seems to work much better, although it does take a while to start. Once it has started, though, it runs extremely fast on my Intel Atom 1gb ram netbook.

Beans

On this computer, Firefox is no better....and I'm invested in Chrome elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by klblackw View Post
    It took about 15 seconds for Chrome to crank up to one tab "new tab page"
    It took about 8 seconds to open "Intellicast" weather
    This is, indeed, very slow. The rest of your system looks fine, as you did mention. I was wondering about swap, but your system is not going to swap, so that isn't the reason.

Frankly, I'm stumped. If it was only the one browser, I would have suspected a corrupted cache, but it's too much of a coincidence for it to be both browsers, so I don't even suspect that anymore.

Is the rest of your system slow? What happens when you bring up, say, Lubuntu Software Center, or Sylpheed? Problem is that nothing else on a default Lubuntu install is as resource-heavy as your two browsers, so it's hard to compare them against anything of like weight. Did you install anything like GIMP or LibreOffice? If so, please let us know how slow they are. Did you have Windows loaded before Lubuntu? If so, which version and what was your speed experience? Comparing 12-year old XP to modern Linux is hardly fair, but may give some clues.

Hope other forum members have some ideas here. If all else fails, you may be better off with another distro outside of the 'buntu family. In your case, CrunchBang comes to mind. If you are okay with leaving the Debian tree altogether, then Chakra, Manjaro or ArchBang, as well as Mageia. Hurts my pride to send you to another distro though without making at least some further effort to chase down your issue here.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, I assume that

Quote Originally Posted by klblackw View Post
    Pentium 4 1.6 GB
    was a typo and your processor is 1.6 GHz, which indicates that you have one of the weakest Pentium 4's. I don't think there's much point in distrohopping, as Chromium will be just as heavy on another platform.

You could try a lighter browser like xxxterm and/or add some more RAM. Else I think you just have to accept the speed as it is.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Thanks....All.

DuckHook...This is a clean install...nothing else on the HD. I haven't installed anything but Chrome. Abiword takes about 6 sec. Other little utilities that came with Lubuntu load quickly < 1 sec.

I tried Puppy it was also slow.....loaded into memory from a CD.

So....morgaes....I guess that you may be right about the 1.6 GHz Pentium 4. I'm terribly surprised...since it ran XP very nicely with IE of the time. I still wonder if there isn't something else..??? Back when it was running XP, I used it to run my CNC foam cutting program, etc. with no problems.

PS, I've been viewing YouTube videos....they load reasonably, and play just fine.

Again, Thanks to all.

Out Here........
    Last edited by klblackw; December 16th, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

XP might have felt faster because you had different software installed, for example a lighter (or obsolete) browser as opposed to the latest Chromium. As Duckhook mentioned modern browsers and their plugins are quite demanding.

Disabling plugins with Flashblock and the like will speed up the browsing.

Did you try xxxterm?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

There is not that problem in my Pentium IV 2.4 GHz and 2 GB RAM computer.

I supose you already know it, but the system requirements of Lubuntu according to its website are:

A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration that may yield slow yet usable system with a reduced lubuntu desktop.
    13.10 32 bit ISO require your CPU to have Physical Address Extensions, or PAE. "PAE is provided by Intel Pentium Pro and above CPUs, including all later Pentium-series processors (except most 400 MHz-bus versions of the Pentium M).

Related to free memory in Lubutu 13.10, I have read it uses zRAM which avoid using a swap partition by crompressing their data and putting it in the 'free memory', so I think there is not as free RAM as task manager tells. Anyway, Lubuntu uses very few RAM memory in my computer and it is running the clamAV daemon which takes the majority of it.

I has not got any deep Linux knowledge, but you might try unsinstalling Chromium, since it has been left out of Lubuntu's LiveCDs, and installing Google Chrome, if you could not get a solution. Altough Google Chrome are in conection with Chromium and it is not free software, I think it is better than changing into another Linux distro. If it does not work, you would have only waste a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast