Thread: Latitude e6440: stock ubuntu?

Beans

Latitude e6440: stock ubuntu?

My employer just got me a Dell latitude e6440 with Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled.

Being a long-time Linux user, I have some issues with the way it was configured from the factory, so I want to wipe it and reinstall "my way".

I'm curious, though; is the Ubuntu on this stock, or has it been modified with proprietary drivers or things that are going to break if I install stock Ubuntu or some other distro on this?

Beans

Re: Latitude e6440: stock ubuntu?

Eh, well, curiosity got the better of me and now I'm running 64bit Arch on it. I couldn't find any evidence of anything other than some default configs being changed.

Beans

Hi,

I'm trying to install Arch64, but when using xorg, it freeze, and I need to restart.

Did you do a particular install about the package? What packages did you used?

Many thanks,
    Adrien

Beans

I have several linux distros installed in a multiboot external hd (full installs, fully configured and updated, but no proprietary graphic cards of course) which I use as portable and for (some) backup. When I get access to a computer I can tell whether Ubuntu (or whatever distro on the drive) would work by simply booting off it and it allows me to test things a lot more thorough than a live usb drive. I bought a used computer recently. The guy in the store allowed me to try them first. With that I found out quickly which worked and which might have a problem with drivers pretty easily (all of them worked actually, though some are crappy machines) Ended up with a Dell E5510.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 26th, 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adu2 View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to install Arch64, but when using xorg, it freeze, and I need to restart.

Did you do a particular install about the package? What packages did you used?

Many thanks,
    Adrien
    I don't really remember... but it was pretty fiddly at first. I haven't had any problems with X freezing, though. You have the same laptop?