Thread: Dissertation with a topic based around Ubuntu/Linux?

Beans

Dissertation with a topic based around Ubuntu/Linux?

As the title says! I'm looking for ideas for my Final year dissertation/thesis and I was hoping to do something with Ubuntu or Linux in general.

However, I'm struggling for ideas as I dont want to go for the boring and simple 'Why is Ubuntu better than Windows'... so was hoping for some inspiration here =)

I'm not actually new here I did have an account however I forgot my password and the associated email no longer exists im afraid, hence a new account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dissertation with a topic based around Ubuntu/Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by danappleby2114 View Post
    I'm not actually new here I did have an account however I forgot my password and the associated email no longer exists im afraid, hence a new account.
    All that can probably be fixed, if you would like to start a thread in the Resolution Centre
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: Dissertation with a topic based around Ubuntu/Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by danappleby2114 View Post
    As the title says! I'm looking for ideas for my Final year dissertation/thesis and I was hoping to do something with Ubuntu or Linux in general. . . .
    First, a piece of general advice: A dissertation topic does not have to be profound (it's nice if it is profound, but most topics aren't). The point of your doing a dissertation is primarily to demonstrate that you are capable of doing a job of methodologically sound research on your own.

Some things you might consider examining:
    What have been the various patterns of user response to Canonical's introduction of Unity? What percentage of Ubuntu users shifted to other Linux distros? What percentage of such shifters has subsequently returned to Ubuntu, with or without using Unity?

What are general attitudes of Linux users toward the widely advertised (or promoted) shift toward the use of touch screens? What percentage of Linux users use it primarily on laptops or tablets vs. desktops? What percentage of users who are primarily desktop users of Linux expect, or intend, to use touch screens in future desktops? What percentage of desktop users would prefer to have touch screens in their desktops? Similar questions for Linux users who are primarily laptop users.

What has been the growth of the choice (or specification) of one or more solid-state hard drives among buyers of Linux computers in recent years? How does such a choice differ between individual and corporate buyers?

I hope these suggestions will prompt further suggestions from others.

Good luck to you with your dissertation!