Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [UBUNTU 13.10] Question about multiple desktop environments

Beans

[UBUNTU 13.10] Question about multiple desktop environments

Hello!

Ever since Ubuntu made the jump to Unity, I like a few other Ubuntu users decided to leave in search of a new distro to try and fill this void. I've jumped to GNOME2 forks like Mint (MATE), to Fedora and its use of the GNOME Shell, to some XFCE distros and even the new ElementaryOS distro. Ever since GNOME made the jump to GNOME3 it seemed that the number of desktop environments have jumped.

Now I am back to Ubuntu, wanting to give 13.10 a spin on the 17th. My question to you guys is if it would cause any issues if you download multiple desktop environment over Unity like Gnome Shell, xfce and others? Also a while back (like 2009) I had a Fedora Live DVD that came with Gnome, KDE and various codecs is there something similar for Ubuntu builds?

Thanks you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [UBUNTU 13.10] Question about multiple desktop environments

I've never had any issues installing and running multiple desktops, but that really doesn't mean you won't.
    I guess it really comes down to what you, yourself, consider issues.

Gnome-shell and classic seem to work just as well on Ubuntu as they do on any other distro I've used them on.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I've never had any issues installing and running multiple desktops, but that really doesn't mean you won't.
    I guess it really comes down to what you, yourself, consider issues.

Gnome-shell and classic seem to work just as well on Ubuntu as they do on any other distro I've used them on.
    Thanks! Can I install the Gnome-Flashback session without installing Gnome-Shell like the old Gnome fallback?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The only issue I've ever had is organizational, not technical. Each DE has its own suite of utilities and system tools, but in the past, at least, they've all ended up sharing the same menus on each DE. So on KDE, I got the menu items for Unity and Xfce as well as KDE itself. It can get a bit crowded.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fatcowxlive View Post
    Thanks! Can I install the Gnome-Flashback session without installing Gnome-Shell like the old Gnome fallback?
    Yes
    Here's a look at the flashback package and the stuff(depends) it needs.
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/gno...sion-flashback

Though, I am a bigger user of shell than classic/flashback, so I really don't know, nor do I care if they junkered beloved functions.
    I do know that it is a useable desktop, and has as of yet, not imploded the universe.(at least my universe)
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    The only issue I've ever had is organizational, not technical. Each DE has its own suite of utilities and system tools, but in the past, at least, they've all ended up sharing the same menus on each DE. So on KDE, I got the menu items for Unity and Xfce as well as KDE itself. It can get a bit crowded.
    Ah, thanks for the tip. Now I'm rethinking the whole thing . Makes sense, I guess Unity and Gnome-Shell combo is as less messy as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Yes
    Here's a look at the flashback package and the stuff(depends) it needs.
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/gno...sion-flashback

Though, I am a bigger user of shell than classic/flashback, so I really don't know, nor do I care if they junkered beloved functions.
    I do know that it is a useable desktop, and has as of yet, not imploded the universe.(at least my universe)
    Thanks for the link! Good to know Ubuntu/Unity supports Flashback without the need to install Gnome-Shell!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    the only issue i've ever had is organizational, not technical. Each de has its own suite of utilities and system tools, but in the past, at least, they've all ended up sharing the same menus on each de. So on kde, i got the menu items for unity and xfce as well as kde itself. It can get a bit crowded.
    dido
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Once installed, how do you switch between the Desktops?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubuforum3 View Post
    Once installed, how do you switch between the Desktops?
    In normal Ubuntu?
    You switch 'em at the login screen.
    In the box where you're login name is is a ubuntu logo, click on it and the choices of desktops will come up.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

I know LXDE and gnome-fall back witll work, and with the latter there are only a few dependencies. But I think gnome-shell is not going to work, at least that was what I read for 13.04, something about Unity losing the wall paper and icons if gnome-shell was installed on the same system. I suppose kde would be crazy even if you can do it, usually just installing one kde application would bring in a ton of dependencies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast