Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot problems

Beans

Re: Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot problems

You say there is a backup of bootmgfw.efi located at C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi. Where is the renamed filed located? Can I not rename the file manually using Windows edit?

Beans

I ran the Toshiba Windows 8.1 Startup Repair utility then re-ran Ubuntu Disk-Repair (Recommended Repairs). The Repair Bootinfo report is located at http://paste.ubuntu.com/6564481.

Nothing has changed in the boot operation. Windows still boots. I can only get to Ubuntu by holding F12 during reboot, selecting HDD then Ubuntu then pressing enter once the Ubuntu screen hangs up.

Any ideas how I can restore or rename the bootmgfw.efi file?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The un-rename must have worked it is not shown.

menuentry "Windows UEFI bootmgfw.efi" {
    search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root D699-B5F1
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    The bkpbootmgrw.efi is not shown now.

While f12 gives you an ubuntu boot option, can you in UEFI change to make ubuntu boot option the first choice? Similar to what others have posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The efi boot menu entries, Ubuntu and ubuntu, may be for the shim.efi (for secure boot enabled) and for grubx64.efi (without secure boot). I looked in your pastebin but didn't see the output of running sudo efibootmgr -v which lists the entries and what they actually run. I have a Toshiba S855 which experiences bug #1091464, which prevents grub from running windows, so I have to use the efi menu to select Windows if Ubuntu is the default. You should be able to change the default OS which boot at powerup with efibootmgr, then you can select windows with the efi menu when necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12