Thread: Bonobo Extreme Aluminum trim loose

Beans

Bonobo Extreme Aluminum trim loose

I have the Bonobo Extreme and the Aluminum trim around the keyboard came loose and has lifted up slightly. The machine is under warranty for 2 years, but I don't really want to send it in. Is this a job I can do without voiding the warranty or if it gets worse should I just send it in. Is there a good way to glue it back down relatively safely like taking the top section off? Are these machines decent to work on and is there a manual?

Beans

Re: Bonobo Extreme Aluminum trim loose

Also, if it is possible to glue back down what materials do you recommend for best results.

Beans

I now have the service and user manual for a Clevo P370SM also know as a Bonobo Extreme bonx7.

It shows the keyboard comes out pretty easy which should give enough room to slide a little adhesive under the trim. It also exposes some circuit board components so a barrier sheet would probably be needed when working with adhesive so none drips anywhere important...

I am an A+ certified technician, I have taken apart and put back together dozens of laptops. Would I be able to perform this job without voiding the warranty?

Also what adhesive does System76 recommend?

I was thinking maybe model cement...

"Model cement: Usually sold in tubes as "model maker" glues, model cement forms a strong bond on acrylics and polystyrenes and can be used on most plastics, except plastic foam. Clamping is usually required until the cement has set (about 10 minutes); curing time is about 24 hours. Model cement dries clear."

Can I be authorized to perform this repair?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you post a picture of the problem? I'd be wary of gluing anything within the laptop, as it could prevent further repair.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24746664@N04/11428276693/

It's mostly a cosmetic issue right now, although I use the arrow keys quite often and the when I hit the trim sometimes it feels like hitting a button. In case it's hard to tell from the picture, the trim has come loose right below the arrow keys and is lifted a millimeter or two. I just don't think its a big enough issue to warrent sending the unit in, especially because I think I might be able to take care of the issue myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Was the computer ever dropped or otherwise damaged? That sort of problem looks unlikely to happen on its own.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Not unless it happened during shipping, but it seemed fine when I got it. Then a few weeks later I noticed a section of the trim started to lift up. I press the section like a button sometimes when typing. Especially when reaching for the bottom arrow key, which may be making it worse...

Beans

Hello Ian,

The trim's lifted section is definitely spreading, on the plus side when it gets to the corner it will be easier to lift the trim and glue. I am going to be traveling internationally soon and don't want to send the machine in. Any word on if an A+ certified technician like me can work on the trim or would that void the machines warranty?

Thank you,
    Kevin