Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing HDD with SSD and moving HDD to slave position

Beans

Replacing HDD with SSD and moving HDD to slave position

I currently have a 1 TB drive installed with Ubuntu 13.1 on it, I want to install a SSD as Master for the OS and use the HDD for data. I am not very proficient in Linux and I am used to the plug and play experienced with MS. So it is very confusing when reading these forums. I don't mind losing what is already on the HDD so that is not an issue. Do I need to move jumpers on the HDD to make it a slave? Do I need to partition either drive and if so how? Any responses are appreciated, but please acknowledge my experience is in windows and some of the terms used in Linux make me reconsider using this OS. It seems I need more technical expertise to operate in Linux. I wish it was a bit more simple and straight forward and intuitive. But that's because I don't know what I'm doing.....

thanks,
    Larry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Replacing HDD with SSD and moving HDD to slave position

SATA doesn't use slave/master as such and jumper not important. You are thinking of IDE drives.

Plug them both in, get into the BIOS and set which drive you want to boot first or boot from the LiveCD or whatever you're installing from and install. The SATA ports are numbered so plug the SSD in to #1 I guess, but don't think this will matter. I presume you are talking about a desktop ...

Beans

Thanks, yes it is a desktop... Also the HDD has the OS on it, should I wait to hook it up until I install the OS on the SSD? I don't want conflict

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Put the SSD in the motherboard's SATA-0 or SATA-1 position as the Ubuntu installer will by default try and put the MBR there.
    You could put the bootloader anywhere really, but this way is much easier.

Beans

Ok, SSD installed and being recognized, because I simply don't know what's best, should I erase the current version of Ubuntu, which is upgraded to 13.04, (I have the 12.10 live DVD) , using this method, it asks about encrypting, do I need this? it also asks about LVM. And I can go with something else which looks even more difficult. I'm sincerely considering going back to windows at this point!!!
    The SSD is 120gb, the HDD is 1tb and it has the 13.04 on it. I pretty sure I don't want to install the 12.10 alongside the 13.04 because that will be on the HDD and defeating the purpose of the SSD.
    And, if I do something else I haven't a clue what to do based on the window which opens, fortunately I can go back and forth at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Someone more skilled will help you but It is not overly difficult to do what you propose. I would suggest you use your 1TB drive for data storage. When you install Ubuntu using the Live disc if you select Something Else you will have the benefit of being able to use separate partitions for Root and Home and also be able to choose the partition sizes. You have the option of keeping the 13.10 (or is it 13.04)partition on the 1 TB drive and dual booting with another version (12.04 is a Long Term Stable release) on your SSD
    Last edited by SuperFreak; December 13th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

You essentially told me what I thought, but as I press something else, it shows my SSD as the boot disk, which is correct at 120gb, As I was planning on using the HDD for data, how big should I make the partition and I thought I read I should make the HDD Logical, so I assume that the SSD should be primary.... What is EXT4journaling file system is that the right choice and Mount point? Completely new language to me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

EXT4 would likely be the best choice for your partitions; it is the most recent version of Linux file systems but has been used for awhile so is proven. Your partitions need to be at minimum 15 GB for Root and at your
    discretion for Home. Your Home partition will contain settings, Browser, email program and folders etc. Personally I have my Root at 33 GB and Home at 40GB and use symlinks in Home to my Data partition for pictures and music etc which are stored on my data drives. I use a 120 GB Intel SSD. However my partitions are fairly generous and do not leave much space on the SSD for installs of other distros. You should also allow some space (a bit more than what your RAM is) for a Swap partition but it is not mandatory. It will prevent memory over runs and also allow you to use hibernation.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

LVM is another whole level of complication, but adds some flexibility on changing partitions. You cannot use gparted with LVM, but have to use its command line tools.
    If you install with full drive encryption you get LVM also.
    LVM installs are full drive and overwrite what ever else you have.

On my 64GB SSD, I created 2 / (root) partitions, one current install and one next or test install. I use about 10GB out of the 28GB. All my data is in two 100GB partitions on my 640GB drive and linked back into my root. I also have many 25GB test installs on my 640GB drive.

Since I was planning on a new computer soon. (I now have said that for 2 years, but back then new SSD sped up system enough I am having trouble justifing new system.) I now use gpt partitioning for all new drives. That works for Ubuntu in BIOS or UEFI, but Windows will only boot from a gpt drive with UEFI. So if thinking of Windows do not use gpt. But if thinking of Windows in BIOS mode, you need to reserve primary partition(s) for Windows.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just to add to OldFred's good advice, If you are not using GPT partition table you are only permitted 4 primary partitions. GPT does not set a limit on primary partition number

edit actually the GPT limit is 128 primary but to almost all intents it is unlimited
    Last edited by SuperFreak; December 13th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast