Thread: lightdm went down during upgrade from 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

lightdm went down during upgrade from 13.10

I did a upgrade today using the debian method of changing the sources and running apt-get dist-upgrade
    i started the upgrade and came back to it a little while later and i could not get the desktop back
    i was able to get to a tty (ctrl+alt+f1) i figured xscreensaver was acting up, nope not the issue
    i decided to just stop the lightdm service, not running
    tried to start it, failed
    check pid of apt-get, it was running still, probably asking for user input as i had no way to provide input i killed the process
    i tried to instal updates with apt-get it told the to run dpkg --configure or something i did and got it finished upgrading
    i did not remove my ppas or anything
    once that was done i did a autoremove and rebooted and everything as good

anyone know if lightdm crashes when upgrading the recommended way, someone should check on that, i have always had god luck with the debian method, even done upgrades over ssh like that without issue

this system has a phenom II 965 and a GT 430 using the nvidia driver
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Re: lightdm went down during upgrade from 13.10

I almost always upgrade by changing the source.list then using aptitude safe-upgrade then aptitude dist-upgrade

If the lightdm stops ........... then I install kdm ........ and run that ..........

But there have been some issues in the past with lightdm - as regards it accepting input - not sure if that got resolved yet
    there was a thread not so long back on it .......... will look now login - problem http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209080

........ there is one here also where they have moved the lightdm config files ( need this info for something else setting resolution )
    - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205637

There is also another thread on synaptic not working here ........ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2210892

ok just taken a snapshot and will upgrade ....

After the upgrade there are a few problems - sound not working and synaptic not working
    if I run synaptic from Unity kde or gnome-shell ( its from a terminal ) ....... other than the sound which has gone. ( dummy output only now )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 4th, 2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: updated - that its affecting all - except from the terminal and lightdm is not working either am now using kdm