Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 7.04 upgrade ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question ubuntu 7.04 upgrade ?

my trusty old circa 2000 laptop with 256mb and dvd reader just lost it's hard disk. Luckily i had an old 20gb hard disk that i had installed 7.04 on and my lap works well. But i do not have an internet connection just a dvd reader so how can i bring my 7.04 install up to date ? or is this even possible without a full re-install ?? am guessing i'd need synaptic package manager and change the sources to look at a dvd - which one do i use for an i386 system ?

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu 7.04 upgrade ?

Hi jnorthr,

Why you just don't install newest Xubuntu or Lubuntu they are very lightweight btw? I think you can upgrade to 7.10 then from 7.10 to 8.04 and so on... You can download image from here:
    Code:
    http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.10/
    And btw you should move repositories if you want upgrades.
    Last edited by protoss96; December 11th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

As protoss96 stated you will have to go from 7.04 to 7.10 to 8.04.

Once you hit 8.04 you would be able to jump from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS...14.04 LTS is coming out in April so at that point you could jump to the next LTS if you wish.

If you do update from 7.04 to where you want to be you will need to burn CDs/DVDs for the computer to upgrade to each new revision. So lets say it will take you, 4 CDs at a minimum if you decide to stick with 12.04 LTS.

I would recommend fresh installing Lubuntu on your computer. Just back it up and reinstall it from scratch. You will be much happier with the process. It will be extremely slow and tedious to upgrade each release.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would just bite the bullet and wish that I'd done something about upgrading over the last 7 years.

Reinstall to a newer version, back up things you need to keep.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question is upgrade possible from ubuntu 7.04 ?

old laptop just rebuilt though hard drive had a nice install of ubuntu 7.04. as i now have wireless again, tried 'updates' option from the menu but said 'cannot find network or cannot locate ubuntu 8.04 for upgrade. any anyone point me to a repo for 8.04 or alternatively how to manually fast-forward my version ? i have a dvd reader so could theoretically put a ubuntu 13.10 dvd and rebuild from there but don't want to blitz all my work and setups. any ideas ?
    thx

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: is upgrade possible from ubuntu 7.04 ?

Hello!

The answer to the question is yes -- technically. But the old versions have been moved and that is why you can't find an upgrade.

The practical answer to the question is no. The way you would have to upgrade would probably lead to compounded problems -- you have to do a series of upgrades that might introduce errors at each step and leave a mess at the end.

Could you give us the hardware specifications of your machine and we'll see if using a more recent version has a reasonable chance of success.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: is upgrade possible from ubuntu 7.04 ?

The config files will probably not work on a 13.10 install as the apps you are using have changed so much since 7.04 (wow! First release I ever tried).

You would be much better to do a clean install of 13.10 and reconfigure, upgrade to the long-term support release directly from there in April (five years support which sounds like it might suit you).

The other issue is ... Unity. Some love it, some hate it, but be aware, that is the default desktop environment Ubuntu uses now and it is radically different from the gnome DE in 7.04. You might want to try Xubuntu or Lubuntu which are both much more like what you are used to. Or take the plunge and try the latest Ubuntu with Unity DE (you can always change the DE to gnome-fallback or any number of others if you don't like the default Unity DE).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Threads merged. Please don't create multiple threads regarding the same problem.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With that amount of RAM, and the hardware being pretty old overall, puppy linux or some other super lightweight distro would be a more logical choice, I don't think it can run Lubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast