Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

The external monitor works, but bluetooth does not. After reinstalling, I noticed that touchscreen worked. But after downloading new packages and updates, it stopped working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David_Semeria View Post
    Hi kifer, can you confirm bluetooth and external display still work fine with Mint 16?
    Neither does for me with ubuntu 13.10, however touch screen does.

The external monitor works, but bluetooth does not. After reinstalling, I noticed that touchscreen worked. But after downloading new packages and updates, it stopped working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pantale View Post
    Found something interesting !

Adding acpi_osi= to the kernel paremeters in grub makes the f5/f6 keys change the backlight level, but the is no relation with the backlight control through the sliders.
    Have to put 'acpi_osi=' without any parameter. I know it's quite strange but it works, and I don't know why ?

Olivier
    For those ignorant of how to do this (like I was) edit the grub file:
    /etc/default/grub

The acpi_osi= is added to the line (or a least the line on my rather unmodified version):
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    to give you:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi= "

then run:
    sudo update-grub

The keys then work after restart, thanks to Oliver's discovery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for sharing all this useful info! A friend just got himself a UX301LA and I'm going to install (k)Ubuntu on it - and try to contribute anything additional here.

Can anyone give me a hint on what I have to take care of to be able to restore Windows if necessary after an installation of (k)Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by drpauled View Post
    For those ignorant of how to do this (like I was) edit the grub file:
    /etc/default/grub

The acpi_osi= is added to the line (or a least the line on my rather unmodified version):
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    to give you:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi= "

then run:
    sudo update-grub

The keys then work after restart, thanks to Oliver's discovery.
    Can confirm this has solved the f5/f6 fn brightness keys. Slight aside though, I'm using an Asus Vivobook S/Q301LA model, so I'm thinking the underlying boot parameters are going to be applicable across most of the newer Asus ultrabooks.

Beans

Hello everyone, I've just got my grubby mitts on a UX301LA and most things worked out of the box (touchscreen is fine with the latest updates). The acpi_osi= argument made the brightness work.

However, I'm still stuck on the bluetooth. I've tried installing blueman - no change. rfkill list shows they are always on. The only other thing I've found is the XHCI setting in the BIOS, this works, annoyingly for one boot only, so I suspect that's not it. As it stands, a bluetooth is unusable until a solution is found.

Has anyone had any success with bluetooth?

Beans

For bluetooth, in Bios, deselect XHCI. This works fine without any problem except that USB 3.0 is disabled. This is the only workaround I found, but I don't have any problem with reboot. This is a permanent change for me.

Beans

Hi all. I've been working for two days on my Asus UX301 with Ubuntu 14.04LTS. Using pantale's fix for the screen brightness keys as well.

Most things are working well - its a beautiful machine, that's for sure.

I'm seeing a few minor problems, wondering if anyone has experienced/looked into these:

Flakey wifi with low signal: the intel 7260 wireless interface drops every few minutes when the signal strength is low. I'm finding reports of this behavior with others who have this wifi hardware (https://gist.github.com/aboisvert/9357500). I will report back on my experience if I don't hear.

The touchscreen works OK, but not great. In windows 8.1 you could use tablet-style gestures (swipe & pinch) for scrolling, zooming, but in Ubuntu it only seems to work as a single-button mouse, with a few multi-touch gestures (4 fingers brings up search, 3 fingers resizes the window - which is great on the ux301since the borders are so fine they are hard to grab) . Ive seen articles on this (http://www.html5rocks.com/en/mobile/touchandmouse/) but haven't yet investigated.

Chrome doesn't see the touchscreen input at all.

I see Ubuntu forums has shut down the asus support forum since APril 4 - is there a community for ux301 users somewhere?

Chris

Beans

About the battery issue: mine has too, seems like a firmware problem. A workaround is to let the battery drain to 0%, after that it will charge again.

The fastest method I can think of is opening 4 terminals (one for each cpu core) and run

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null

This will cause a high cpu load and make the battery drain in a little time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123