Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

Beans

Asus Zenbook UX301LA

Hi,

As anyone tried to install Ubuntu on an Asus Zenbook UX301LA ?
    I tested 13.10 with a live USB stick and found quite everything working out of the box except the following:
    Bluetooth
    Functions keys to adjust bightness of the screen

Everything else including:
    Wifi
    Screen with touch screen 2650x1440

Now I'm going to install a dual boot with Windows 8.1 for Ubuntu massive usage.

Olivier

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

How is it going?

Beans

Hi,

Unfortunately for the moment my laptop has been returned to Asus because of a battery problem. I was unable to switch it on whether the AC was plugged or not. I'm waiting for another one for replacement.

I will of course install ubuntu on it as I'm only using linux for my work (ubuntu is installed for me on an UX31e, a R715 Dell,...)

Olivier

Beans

Hi Olivier,

I will also definitively be interested in your report. Especially how it behaves when you plug in external, possibly hi-res displays. Maybe you even get a chance to plug it into an 4k / UHD display and see if it can deliver the full resolution. I would gladly send you a postcard in return with a written thank-you.

- Martin

Beans

I installed (Mint 16) without problems. The trick was to initially disable secure boot and launch CSM in the BIOS.

The brightness function keys indeed don't work, but bluetooth does out of the box.
    However, touch screen doesn't work for me.

UPDATE: just 2 weeks into the use, the battery stopped charging and it goes back for repairs. I have also experienced fan racing problems on cold start, which can be stopped only by turning the unit off.
    Based on my experience and on what I read, these two appear to be a common problem with this model.

UPDATE: Upgrading BIOS to v206 didn't fix the problems with the fan and the battery.
    Last edited by kifer; May 17th, 2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: update

Beans

I installed (Mint 16) without problems. The trick was to initially disable secure boot and launch CSM in the BIOS.

The brightness function keys indeed don't work, but bluetooth does out of the box.
    However, touch screen doesn't work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pantale View Post
    Hi,

Unfortunately for the moment my laptop has been returned to Asus because of a battery problem. I was unable to switch it on whether the AC was plugged or not. I'm waiting for another one for replacement.

I will of course install ubuntu on it as I'm only using linux for my work (ubuntu is installed for me on an UX31e, a R715 Dell,...)

Olivier
    You are the 3rd person I know of with battery issues. My ux301la won't charge most of the time, this is the 2nd one I have had with the exact same issue.

Beans

I'm always waiting for the second one. Very long, seems there's stock problems for the model I have UX301LA-DE002H (512 Gb raid 0, 8Mb, WQHD touch screen).
    Hope to receive the replacement laptop this week !

And hope there will be no battery problems with this one !

Beans

Hi kifer, can you confirm bluetooth and external display still work fine with Mint 16?
    Neither does for me with ubuntu 13.10, however touch screen does.

Beans

Hey everyone, writing from my own UX301 running Ubuntu 13.10.

Ran into the same problems as those mentionned above, mine too stopped charging after a while, and mine too sometimes boots up with fans at full speed.
    Thing is, I have found a solution (though it's neither permanent nor convenient) for the charging thing, that does not involve sending it back to Asus.

For some reason, if you boot from a Windows 8(.1) Usb Key, then shut it off without installing anything, and then reboot on Ubuntu, it will start charging again (if your battery was under 94-5% at that point, otherwise it will start charging when it crosses that line that I have not yet defined perfectly. It does reach 100% that way).
    Now I have absolutely no clue why that works, but it does, for some reason, which is why I'm now carrying a Windows 8.1 USB (created with an ISO and Unetbootin, somehow that worked !) with me everywhere.

Because unfortunately, it does not work indefinitely. After a while (once lasted me 2 weeks and many reboots, another time I had to redo it a few hours after the last time), the process has to be repeated, and that's when it gets even weirder. Because the fan issue on boot seems to mean that the computer won't charge anymore, even if it boots normally afterwards. The LED on the Asus AC Adapter starts blinking between red and green at that point, too.

As you can see, I actually experimented a lot about that stuff, now it's not really stressful anymore, it's just really not convenient.

So I have no idea why it doesn't charge, no idea why it boots with fan at full speed from time to time, no idea how those things are related, no idea why my "fix" is a fix,... All I know is that for some reason all that stuff is true.

So yeah, hope that will help some of you guys, and if someone can make sense of that, that would be wonderful !

Edit: On a thread I created about this issue a while ago, a guy proposed a more convenient solution, however I have not had the occasion (thankfully) to test it out.
    His solution is to Unplug the laptop while it's booted up, force it to shut down by pressing the power button for a while, then plug it in again, and look out for the blinking I was mentionning above. If it's not there, it's charging again.
    Last edited by mistermagio; January 18th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast