Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a root password

Beans

I need a root password

OK, before anyone jumps up telling me I don't need root access, or something like that please read the question. Sorry if that sounds ugly, but I have read way too many questions this morning (about and hour and a half worth) about root password where the only answer is you don't need root instead of helping the person. I've also read the forum rules, it's not against the rules to give instruction on how to get root, it's just requested to instruct noobs to a article explaining why it's bad. I understand it's bad, and don't really want a root, but I have to have one for this.

I am trying to install a network printer, and having problems. During my course of trying to track down the problem, I have found the need to run a diagnostic for either hplip, or cups I don't remember right now (that was yesterday, I've done too much since then). Anyway, it runs for a couple of minutes, then ask for "ROOT" password. My regular user password does not work. Since it's running in it's own window, I'm not able to do a sudo -i or whatever else you run in terminal to gain temporary access, I have to have THE ROOT password. I found instructions that said reboot into recovery, drop to root shell, and enter mount -o rw remount/, I get an error that remount is not found in etc/fstab/ or etc/mtab/. I don't really want to just start adding lines to files, unless I know what I'm doing. So does anyone know a good way for me to get a root password that I can enter in the diagnostic terminal? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: I need a root password

Hello and welcome to the forum

Here are a couple of things to try

1. make sure your user is a member of the lpadmin group e.g. in a terminal

Code:
    sudo gpasswd --add username lpadmin
    then log out and back in

2. also in a terminal, run the command

Code:
    gksu-properties
    and make sure the 'Authentication mode' is set to sudo not su

See if that helps - your remount command has a simple syntax error, but let's not go there yet (it should not be necessary to enable the root account). It's hard to guess from your description but if the printer is being discovered using SAMBA/SMB, sometimes the SAMBA utilities ask for ROOT's password but they don't really need it and will continue if you just press 'Enter'.
    Last edited by steeldriver; December 11th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is no root password by default. you have to enable the root account password first. This tells you how. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Once you scroll past the lecture on how you shouldn't enable the root password you'll find the instructions.

If you're still having problems setting up the metwork printer then post some error codes or problems you encounter. Chances are others have encountered the same problems and have found solutions they can share.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

The correct command to mount with read/write access is
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If you want change the password of the root account, open a terminal (cntrl+alt+t) and enter this command:
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    Then you can change the password for the root account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know anything at all about hplip but if you want to know more and control cups open a browser and in a new tab enter this
    Code:
    localhost:631
    the cups windows should show, with helpful tips and the like.

As far as needing a ROOT password, I haven't the faintest idea what program or command you're using that what demand one, which cannot use the built-in privilege escalation system(sudo) already in place on Ubuntu.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

The only instances I've come across are the ones I mentioned above i.e.

1. recent incarnations of gksu seem to have defaulted to su mode - this may affect authentication popups from the CUPS web interface; running

Code:
    gksu-properties
    and changing the authentication mode to 'sudo' in the drop down box should fix that; and

2. running 'sudo smbtree' always asks for root's password (but proceeds happily if you just press 'Enter')

Code:
    $ sudo smbtree
    [sudo] password for steeldriver:
    Enter root's password:
    WORKGROUP
            \\ALICE
                    \\ALICE\Public
                    \\ALICE\print$          Printer Drivers
                    \\ALICE\IPC$            Remote IPC
                    \\ALICE\Canon MF4320-4350 (FAX) Canon MF4320-4350 (FAX)
                    \\ALICE\Canon MF4320-4350       Canon MF4320-4350
                    \\ALICE\C$              Default share
    which may be an issue if the networked printer is on a remote Windows host

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by wt-pm66 View Post
    ...it runs for a couple of minutes, then ask for "ROOT" password. ...I have to have THE ROOT password.
    Perhaps not the issue you are facing, but I would be careful giving root priviledges to your network printer.

I had an issue with a Samsung ML-2955DW network printer. Had to dig for information (and printer makers came clean on problem), there is a built in program (not adjustable by consumer software) that dials home to the manufacturer. This open door was exploited, compromising networks. My home network went nuts after hooking up the printer. Mainly Windows' machines with problems (under attack).

As I could not get to the manufacturer software in the network printer (access not allowed by consumer), I solved it by pulling it from the network, and now it is a USB printer. The bigger bummer, is that from what information I could gather, most manufactures have some application built in to their network printer to dial home (and not controllable by conumer).

After cleaning the Windows' machines and fresh re-install of Ubuntu on my notebook (as precaution), I do not trust network printers. And I would not give a network printer root priviledges to your machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So does anyone know a good way for me to get a root password that I can enter in the diagnostic terminal? Any help would be appreciated.
    You don't need a root password, but to drop to a root shell in a terminal use:

Code:
    sudo -i

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    The only instances I've come across are the ones I mentioned above i.e.

1. recent incarnations of gksu seem to have defaulted to su mode - this may affect authentication popups from the CUPS web interface; running

Code:
    gksu-properties
    and changing the authentication mode to 'sudo' in the drop down box should fix that; and

2. running 'sudo smbtree' always asks for root's password (but proceeds happily if you just press 'Enter')

Code:
    $ sudo smbtree
    [sudo] password for steeldriver:
    Enter root's password:
    WORKGROUP
            \\ALICE
                    \\ALICE\Public
                    \\ALICE\print$          Printer Drivers
                    \\ALICE\IPC$            Remote IPC
                    \\ALICE\Canon MF4320-4350 (FAX) Canon MF4320-4350 (FAX)
                    \\ALICE\Canon MF4320-4350       Canon MF4320-4350
                    \\ALICE\C$              Default share
    which may be an issue if the networked printer is on a remote Windows host
    The prompt is a Samba prompt for the account Samba user account for the user root. When you hit enter it just logs you on as the guest user. This is not an instance of needing root powers. It is for authentication (who are you) rather than authorization (you are allowed to do that).
    -BAB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast