Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breathing Linux on LG with 256MB RAM - HOW?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Question Breathing Linux on LG with 256MB RAM - HOW?

Hi everyone,

As part of my Real Life Activities to Convert my Neighbours to Linux, I have met a new neighbour yesterday who have me "Four" different 'old' Laptops which I converted already to Linux (ATOM Laptop with Lubuntu 13.10, Mini HP with VIA C7 M CPU and 512MB RAM = Xubuntu 12.04.3 and another laptop with 1GB RAM = Xubuntu 12.04.3) and the fourth laptop is LG with 256MB RAM - please see the attached picture.

994982_10201253283193496_2125696300_n.jpg

I have tried Lubuntu 13.10, Lubuntu 12.04 (I know, it is outdated), Xubuntu 12.04.3 (managed to enter the Live Desktop but couldn't do much because the machine is quite old as you see and slow) and finally tried Ubuntu 10.04.3 which is outdated (I know) but was just trying to see what could happen.

So, obviously, this is a special case.

I do know too that with 256MB RAM, one can't do much but that Laptop is for my neighbour's son so definitely, he doesn't need much. Most likely he will use it for his school stuff

So, in your opinion, how can we get this very old machine up and running?

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edit:
    I forgot to add that I couldn't manage to find out what graphics card it has but it didn't let me boot the Lubuntu 12.04 LiveCD and gave me "boot:" on the screen. I was unable to find out the graphics card.
    Last edited by amjjawad; December 11th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Topsiho is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Breathing Linux on LG with 256MB RAM - HOW?

You are, it seems, only thinking Ubuntu or it's derivatives.
    Why don't you investigate Distrowatch and find a small distribution that fits the old hardware?

First thing that I found at Distrowatch was Damn Small Linux.

Please google, find distrowatch, and try a version of Linux that fits the old laptop , and have fun.

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Firstly, 12.04 LTS is not outdated. It is supported until April 2017, stable and reliable, as an LTS release is intended to be, and probably your best bet if you're installing for other people (as you are now going to need to upgrade all the the 13.10 machines to the next LTS release, 14.04 LTS in seven months, which can and probably will present a whole new set of problems, or you will leave people with unsupported, i.e. vulnerable, machines).

Try Porteus or Puppy for the 256mb machine. DSL is okay, too, but I have found it to be a little problematic (for me, that is).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 11th, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Topsiho View Post
    You are, it seems, only thinking Ubuntu or it's derivatives.
    Why don't you investigate Distrowatch and find a small distribution that fits the old hardware?

First thing that I found at Distrowatch was Damn Small Linux.

Please google, find distrowatch, and try a version of Linux that fits the old laptop , and have fun.

Topsiho
    The answer is simple. Because I have done that 3 years ago - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614 - and the one and only system that worked on that machine on that thread after 30 days of trying and trying was Lubuntu 11.10 and yes, that machine is still working

I do trust our community and I do trust the power of Ubuntu Based System

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Firstly, 12.04 LTS is not outdated.
    I was very much precious
    I was talking about "Lubuntu" 12.04, not other variant. Lubuntu 12.04 is NOT an LTS release - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_vs_Ubuntu

And whether it is supported or not, I didn't work on that machine (couldn't booted it with Lubuntu 12.04 LiveCD).

It is supported until April 2017, stable and reliable, as an LTS release is intended to be, and probably your best bet if you're installing for other people (as you are now going to need to upgrade all the the 13.10 machines to the next LTS release, 14.04 LTS in seven months, which can and probably will present a whole new set of problems, or you will leave people with unsupported, i.e. vulnerable, machines).
    I do have a list of the people names, contact numbers, addresses, etc and I know which user has 13.10 and which has 12.04.3 so no worries

Try Proteus or Puppy for the 256mb machine. DSL is okay, too, but I have found it to be a little problematic (for me, that is).
    I am actually looking at Ubuntu's Empire at the moment. I trust I still can do it with Ubuntu based.

Problem is, I couldn't even boot the Ubuntu 10.04 LiveCD!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    ... I have done that 3 years ago ...
    A long time in technology. Things change fast.

Try 'Porteus' I mean, not 'Proteus'.

http://build.porteus.org/
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 11th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I am not 100% sure but I guess there is a problem with the graphics card! After the LG Logo, I can see the LiveCD/LiveUSB Menu but whatever I choose, either I see "boot:" or black screen!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Would help if you mentioned what you are trying to install ...

Either way, at the LiveCD menu hit F6>nomodset. Continue as normal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Would help if you mentioned what you are trying to install ...
    Trying with different LiveCDs/LiveUSB of different Ubuntu Variants and different versions. I am trying now the LiveCD of Ubuntu 10.04 just to see what exactly can I make out of that ...

Either way, at the LiveCD menu hit F6>nomodset. Continue as normal.
    Well, this is what I am trying to do but it doesn't let me do anything :/

Beans
    Distro

For some VERY odd and weird reason, the laptop is rebooting itself right after I select anything from the Live Menu :/

It just let me one time to go through the installation process of one of the versions I am trying but right after the username and password, it rebooted itself :/

And, for yet another weird and odd reason, I need to keep pressing Fn+F7 to see something on the Screen as the Screen keeps turning to black, like I am connecting it to an external monitor but it is NOT attached to anything.

It is LG, LS50a with Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz-1.8GHz, 15" XGA TFT LCD, 256MB RAM and I think 40GB HDD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast