Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wired internet is not working for Marvell card in Toshiba Satellite

Beans

Re: Wired internet is not working for Marvell card in Toshiba Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by MajinSaha View Post
    ..There is no typo, as well as no "disk", "sudo" and "dip".
    Please try adding yourself to these groups -
    Code:
    sudo adduser saha sudo
    sudo adduser saha dip
    sudo adduser saha disk
    Then reboot and see if you can use the MAC id in the new connections you create. I'm guessing that you are not able to use a MAC address (thus preventing 'you' to use a local network device) because of not being in 'dip' user group. You are able to use automatically created connections because those are created by system services automatically (hence by 'root') and are configured to 'Allow Everyone' to use them.

Anyway, this is just a guess and I'm not sure if that is going to make any change. But can you try a Live CD/USB to see if the interface gets a HWaddr automatically there? Or if you can save the MAC addresses newly created 'Demo' connections in the Live sesssion? If yes, I recommend doing a fresh install unless you are willing to try various cumbersome 'patches' to do something as simple as spoofing an address, which should be very easy on a healthy installation.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    What were you typing in the "Device MAC address"? It is only meant for 'binding' the connection with one of your network interfaces (so that connection can only be established using that particular interface). It should offer you to choose from a drop-down list of detected (wired) interfaces.
    The first thing I did after reboot is assign the MAC address, but no IP address yet. Then I went to "Edit connections...", to "Dummy". There I tried to type some device MAC address. When I inserted the cloned MAC address into the "Device MAC address" field, the "Save" button became active. It's active only until I erase the last two digits ("EE") and leave it as "00:22:19:FF:2F:". Even with only one "E" at the end the button is still active. The button is always inactive when I put "FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF" inside or any part of it. By the way, the original device MAC address for deleted "Wired connection 1" was "FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (eth0)", which is why probably it didn't let me save.
    And I don't remember if I proposed it earlier, but can you try a Live CD/DVD/USB to see if all is well there?
    Not at the moment. Can we avoid this way, at least for now? I currently don't have enough time to download Ubuntu and make it bootable from USB. Too much hassle.

Beans

I executed those "adduser" three times successfully. After reboot, I did not see any significant change. There was "Wired connection 1" again in the list of wired connections, but none of "Dummy" or "Wired connection 1" tried to connect until I forcefully assigned mac address and ip address. I remind you that before reboot the "Device MAC address" field of "Dummy" was empty, and only "Cloned" one was filled. Should I interchange those two and try to reboot again?

So, it is necessary to try Live boot. Ok, I'll try to find some time and do it. I'll keep you updated.

Beans

Just an immediate update. The computer administrator guy came to my office and warned me not to use the cable anymore on my laptop. So I guess those tricks with cloned MAC id need to stop unless I get me a home cable. But that should be soon, as I'm moving to a new apartment with provided internet ( in a couple of weeks ).
    But I guess we still can try to experiment during weekends, when none of the administrators are around. After all, I'm sure my computer is free of viruses (it's linux after all) and I'm not trying to damage the network or anything, so why not?

Beans

Bump, please.

varunendra, sorry for not writing to you earlier.
    About two weeks ago I moved into a new apartment with a provided cable internet. What I did there was:
    1) assigned MAC address as I did previously:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:22:19:ff:2f:ee
    2) assigned arbitrary, but existing IP address. I took the address from another country!
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx
    The internet works.
    So, as a concluding word, I'm not gonna use my laptop for ethernet connection anywhere except when at home. When I use it at home, each time after reboot I have to enter these two commands in the terminal. After three years of no ethernet at all, than't not a pretty bad deal, if you think about it.
    Thank you for your help. I wouldn't have obtained the internet if you hadn't been doing all those experiments described above. Although I understand the behavior we were witnessing still seems confusing to you.
    I wish you all the best. Bye!

Beans

Aha.. glad to see it still works.

I was about to reply to your last post when I got too indulged in some personal tasks here, almost forgot this one later..

Although I understand the behavior we were witnessing still seems confusing to you.
    Yup, confusing it is to some extent. But an advancement in my learning experience nonetheless.., and I thank You for your willingness to cooperate and try whatever I suggested even if they didn't make much sense at some point.

If you are satisfied with what we have in hand right now, then I think you should consider marking the thread as [SOLVED] now, so others with same/similar problem and looking for help can notice that this one may have a working solution/workaround for them.

But if you want to experiment further, I'd only be glad to help, as much as I can. I'm not sure I have much left in my stock of suggestions, but I'd love to dig deeper as and if the time allows.

See you around !
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I'd be glad to learn myself, but I don't have so much time for that right now. So I guess it's solved for now. When I feel like it, I will make a new thread in the future where I describe what I currently have as a starting point.
    Best wishes!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234