Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow SMB connection after update (13.10)

Hybrid View

Beans

Slow SMB connection after update (13.10)

Hi,

Recently, I upgrade my home server's OS 13.10 x64 from 13.04 (Desktop version) as a Web and NAS like server.
    Right after upgrade, everything was just fine. SMB connection can makes avg 114MB, full-throttle on gigabit network.

But, the problem is after automatic system update, SMB speed getting really slow! It makes only 15MB/s maximum.
    So I test the network speed with "iperf" between the server and a windows desktop but there was no problem with connection speed on my LAN.

I search the forum and Google, and I tried several things like,
    Clean system install, "TCP_NODELAY" trick in the "smb.conf", Jumbo Frame (MTU)... but those things can't fix my problem.

Is this a bug on some updated package or it there any file changes after system update?

Current my Ubuntu system is
    Intel Xeon E3-1280 / MSI Z77A-G43 / 8GB DDR3 / and a dual lan card.

All my network looks okay.

Thanks in advance.

ps. sorry for my English

Beans

Re: Slow SMB connection after update (13.10)

Okay self-solving the problem.

The latest kernel (3.11.0-14) was the problem. 3.11.0-12 is fine.

If you have any networking related problem, don't use 3.11.0-14 kernel. It looks have a problem with networking part.

Edit: How can I change this thread as SOLVED?
    Last edited by enpinion; December 11th, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Edit: How can I change this thread as SOLVED?

Beans

Thank you very much, I had the same problem and this is the only place I could find the answer. 3.11.0-13 works fine too.

Beans

I'm seeing this same issue as well. It started with 3.11.0.14 as with OP. I just updated to 3.11.0-15 and it too has the problem. I was getting full gigabit speeds, now about 1/10th the speed. Booting back to 3.11-12 returns speed to normal. Tested via samba with shares on both SSD and spinning disks.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Slow SMB connection after update (13.10)

I'm having the same issue Until recently I was getting transfer rates of 80-90MB/s. But after recent updates I'm only getting 7-9MB/s. I first thought something was wrong with the ethernet connection (running at 100MBit instead of 1GBit). But that's not the case. Is there a bug report for this issue somewhere so we can expect an update anytime soon? Thanks, Timo

Beans

I'm having the same issue too, can't stream FullHD content over Samba, only NFS. Any word on a fix?

Beans

Oh my god Thank you so very much. Downgraded the kernel and got arround 930 Mbps. You are a godsent my friend!

Beans

I also noticed that suddenly, my transfer speed over a wired network to a Samba share was down to 14 MB/s.
    My issue now is that when booting in the older 3.11.0-13 kernel, my XFCE session just locks up and accepts no keyboard or mouse input. So I'm afraid this won't be a good option for me. The only bug report I found related to this was https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1259634 and it looks like it's fixed upstream, so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Trusty Tahr (Alpha).
    Last edited by ccerghe1; February 6th, 2014 at 02:34 PM.

Beans

Is it fixed in Trusty? I'm still having the same problems....

Beans

This seems to be fixed with kernel 3.11.0-17. I'm now getting full speed via smb in and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast