Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Xubuntu to Ubuntu testing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From Xubuntu to Ubuntu testing

I've been gone on an extended business trip for a couple weeks. I cleaned up and donated my test computer before I left, so, I needed to start over when I got home.

From this site,

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily-live/current/

I downloaded the 12/6 and 12/9 Xubuntu dailies. They loaded onto sticks just fine, but both hung, and wouldn't open. Today, I grabbed the 12/10 release, and it worked fine. Unfortunately it opened in a mid-east (?) language that I didn't understand.

So, I think I'll back off of Xubuntu 14.04 for a while, and will play with Ubuntu.

I downloaded the 12/10 daily, and it installed and booted just fine. As has been said by others, Unity is much cleaner, and more professional looking than I remember from the last time I used it.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; December 20th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: From Xubuntu to Ubuntu testing

I guess I picked one (or more) of those dates to download a Xubuntu image and got the same hangups. And there I was thinking I was a total noob... sheesh!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lubuntu had the same issue I believe - some lightdm change caused it - it boots now - though you might find you need to supply a username/set the language ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Elfy, I'm coming into my busy time of the year, with several extended trips planned. I'm going to back out of testing for a while. I'll be back to Xubuntu testing some time in late January or early February (though what I can contribute, of course, doesn't mean that much to the overall scheme of things).

Edit:

Probably not. I think I'm going to stay with Ubuntu for a while...
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; January 5th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    @ Elfy, I'm coming into my busy time of the year, with several extended trips planned. I'm going to back out of testing for a while. I'll be back to Xubuntu testing some time in late January or early February (though what I can contribute, of course, doesn't mean that much to the overall scheme of things).
    You'd be surprised how much 1 persons contribution is

From Trusty release to Thursday last, we'd had 7.3% of all the possible 64 bit image tests done and 13.2% of the 32 bit ones - by 5 and 4 people respectively ...

Good luck with the trips and busy busy life and see you on the flipside.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Lubuntu had the same issue I believe - some lightdm change caused it - it boots now - though you might find you need to supply a username/set the language ...
    I'd like to do some more testing. I tried the 2013-12-11 build for i386 32 bit. MD5SUM checks good, and I got to it to boot from USB stick created with Unetbootin. I found the login issue (requires xubuntu for name, no password), and it seems to help to select the language from the menu bar before logging in.

But when I tried to install to a couple spare partitions (separate /home) on my main machine (12.04 Xubuntu/xfce), the install failed ~ 80% into the copy files process (a couple minutes in).

So I then tried the 'check disk' option at boot (which I understand will check file integrity of the USB drive), I get little rectangle characters on the bottom of the screen, nothing readable (maybe these are still in the mid-east language, but get displayed as rectangles?), so I can't tell what is going on.

Bottom line, I'm not really looking for help in troubleshooting this particular problem, more just wondering if these are known issues that might be fixed in an upcoming release. If so, I'll hold off on further attempts until those are resolved. Like I said, I'd like to help do some testing, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to handle some of the more 'bleeding edge' issues. Just looking for a point where maybe it's a bit more stable. Make sense? I didn't see any notes on what changes/fixes are in the dailies.

-NTL2009

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    You'd be surprised how much 1 persons contribution is

From Trusty release to Thursday last, we'd had 7.3% of all the possible 64 bit image tests done and 13.2% of the 32 bit ones - by 5 and 4 people respectively ...

Good luck with the trips and busy busy life and see you on the flipside.
    I assume the body count of testers will increase after the release of an Alpha (tomorrow, I think), and more after a Beta release, but, the pre-Alpha count was/is pretty bleak.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; December 20th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It increased a bit - at the last check we'd had 7 people (not counting me) report results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update...

I've been in and out of the country for the past four weeks, and as I indicated earlier in this thread, I loaded the Ubuntu version of Trusty (12/10 daily), and took it with me, to give it a real world workout.

I've been using it as my production machine, with no backup other than the final of 13.10 on a stick. This computer is my four year old Lenovo T400, with the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, and the Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset. The only thing I have done is to load the updates once a day. Otherwise, I just use it. Day-to-day programs include Chrome, Thunderbird, Writer, and Ubuntu One.

I am happy to report, that though we're still at the "Alpha" development stage, so to speak, I have had absolutely no problems with Trusty. It just works. There are a few fit and finish issues to be ironed out (certainly not unexpected), but, the guts of this release so far are superb. It feels really solid, and it's as quick as a weasel.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; January 12th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast