Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu as Gateway/Router

Beans

Re: Ubuntu as Gateway/Router

I prefer pfsense. It's free and very easy to set up. It's comes with VPN and RRD graphs ootb and you can quickly install extra packages such as Dansguardian from the web interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    you could probably run it off something like a Raspberry Pi (assuming you use a USB network card for the LAN or WAN port).
    The Pi comes with one Ethernet jack. For the second interface, you can add a wifi connection easily with a USB device like this. For a second Ethernet connection, you'll need a USB to Ethernet adapter as Charles suggests.

I wonder, though, if your needs could not be met with a good commercial router that runs dd-wrt or Tomato, two Linux derivatives designed for routers. Buffalo makes routers that come with dd-wrt as the stock firmware.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I wonder, though, if your needs could not be met with a good commercial router that runs dd-wrt or Tomato, two Linux derivatives designed for routers. Buffalo makes routers that come with dd-wrt as the stock firmware.
    That would be one of my thoughts, too.

I've got DD-WRT running off a DIR-615, but it's limited to the micro build as the memory and flash space available is quite low. I've heard those buffalo routers are pretty nice with DD-WRT, but I've seen no reason to replace the one I have now.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12