Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't have root user password, Need an mp3 player..

Beans

Question I don't have root user password, Need an mp3 player..

Hi, as i mentioned at the title i need an mp3 player for my ubuntu 10.04 and i don't have a root password. So can you post me a link to download a zip package or something else which i can listen my mp3 files on ubuntu. Thanks in advance. (btw i can't even install mp3 plugin for rhytmbox - need root pass.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I don't have root user password, Need an mp3 player..

To do things as root you must use 'sudo'. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    MP3 codec is found in the package, 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' along with 'flashplayer' and more.
    You can install it from Terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    ... you will be asked for a password, type in your user password. You can't see it as you type... just type it and hit 'enter'.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's going to be difficult to play MP3s without being able to install packages. I'm assuming when you say you don't have root password it means that you're not the sysadmin or owner of the computer you're on (please clarify if I'm wrong). Probably the easiest way, assuming that's the case, is the ask the sysadmin nicely to install ubuntu-restricted-extras so that you can listen with Rythmbox.

You could try to download an MP3 player and build it from source, putting the files in a location for which you have permissions. But, as I've found after a quick look, most of these packages require a host of dependencies and such that would ultimately require root access to install. So, if you can't do it the conventional way, it's going to be tough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Ubuntu 10.04 desktop version is no longer supported, so it's repositories have been moved to old-releases. Important to know if and when you obtain permission to install any packages.

Beans

Apparently you can still install a package for 10.04 using the original repositories - I just this morning (Dec 10) installed keepassx on Ubuntu 10.04 in the usual way using apt-get. I assume this is because the 10.04 server is still supported until Apr 2015, so the repositories are open. I suppose there are no updates, however, for desktop.

So if you have sudo privileges, you probably can install a player.

Lucid packages still listed here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Good to know, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hmm in windows this issue is easilly solved with various portable players and mostly opensource portable programs & codecs. is there nothing similar in linux (like portable apps)? and if so why not?

perhaps some older version of VLC in this link?: http://portablelinuxapps.org/

edit: you'd probabyl still need admin rights to make the file executable or am i wrong?
    Last edited by mastablasta; December 11th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Why is anyone still using 10.04?

Beans

i can't use sudo or apt-get or any command that needs root password. @mastablasta i'm trying your link now but can't open VLC. Should i do someting else, i checked "Allow file executing as a program"

Beans

@drmrgd thats sad to hear... I just got only one folder that i got perrmisson to use. I wanted to download player to that location and open it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast