Thread: Trouble with fstab and ntfs partition, Help Appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Trouble with fstab and ntfs partition, Help Appreciated!

Background: I just upgraded to 13.10 from 12.04 on my Thinkpad-T500 (a fresh installation actually). I installed a base system using the minimal iso, and then installed the kde-plasma-desktop and a few other needed packages from the official repos. This computer dual boots with a Windows 7 installation.

Problem: I attempted to edit /etc/fstab like i have with previous versions, in order to have the two windows system partitions "hidden" and left alone by ubuntu, and my ntfs data partition to be mounted so that i can then integrate it with symbolic links to my /home folders. However, when i attempt to reboot with the new fstab, i get a bsod. In order to fix the problem i had to boot on a live-cd and edit my fstab back to the way it was previously (with no entries for the ntfs partitions.)

I confirmed that ntfs-3g is installed using
    Code:
    apt-cache policy ntfs-3g
    I also created the directories /.WinSysRes /.Windows7 and /.Data

here is the edited fstab that is not working for some reason. Is it possible I'm missing some package that is needed for mounting the partitions like this, since i did a base system install rather than using the full kubuntu install?

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=952cfb84-2120-482c-aee8-528f6a686bb1 /               ext4    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=16777e04-0555-4564-b928-313f62ced171 none            swap    sw              0       0
    # Added by me for ntfs partitions
    UUID=5C4861E74861BFFE /.WinSysRes ntfs-3g defaults,noauto,umask=777    0    0
    UUID=241A97F71A97C468 /.Windows7 ntfs-3g defualts,noauto,umask=777    0    0
    UUID=78C00125C000EAE8 /.Data ntfs-3g defualts,user,umask=000,locale=en_US.utf8,windows_names    0    0
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Re: Trouble with fstab and ntfs partition, Help Appreciated!

defualts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

haha! thanks, can't believe i overlooked that. Unfortunately fixing those two typos didn't resolve the problem.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can you tease out an error by manually mounting them one at a time from the commandline? Maybe you'll get something more informative than a BSOD to tell you what's not right. I could be wrong, but I would guess that even a base install should have what you need to mount NTFS drives.

Beans

What exactly do you mean by "bsod"? I'm only familiar with that term in the context of Microsoft - for *buntu, you should at least get a 'drive missing' message with options to skip / manually mount

Do you see anything in dmesg after the failures? Since 2 of the 3 are 'noauto' it shouldn't even be trying to mount them at boot time, so I'd suspect the 3rd (Data) partition first.
    Last edited by steeldriver; December 10th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "bsod"? I'm only familiar with that term in the context of Microsoft - for *buntu, you should at least get a 'drive missing' message with options to skip / manually mount
    Thanks for the reply!
    Sorry for being vague, you're right it's not a total "black screen of death".. but it is close. I get a black screen with a cursor.. no tty promt or anything.. JUST a cursor. However it won't accept any input, typing on the keyboard only produces non-sense characters like "[^]&

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Do you see anything in dmesg after the failures? Since 2 of the 3 are 'noauto' it shouldn't even be trying to mount them at boot time, so I'd suspect the 3rd (Data) partition first.
    I have not looked in dmesg yet, but i will, and post if there's anything unusual (or that I'm not sure about).
    Last edited by dave2001; December 11th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So I found a workaround for the problem, and will post it for anyone else with the same problem.

Instead of identifying the partition by the newly "preferred" UUID method, use the old descriptor method instead; /dev/sdXY (where X is the letter of the drive and Y the number identifying the partition, eg. /dev/sda1).

Changing my fstab entry to this worked perfectly:
    Code:
    dev/sda3 /.Data ntfs-3g defaults,user,umask=000,locale=en_US.utf8,windows_names 0 0
    It IS the manual entries in fstab causing the "black screen of death" on boot.. even using only the first manually entered line (which has a noauto option!) as the ONLY changing variable will reproduce the behavior every time.

So, this problem is related to UUID and fstab implementation during boot, the issue is also something new to 13.10 (at least in comparison to 12.04, I haven't tried the intermediates).

Does anyone think this is a bug? Should I see about posting on launchpad?
    It's UBUNTASTIC!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    So I found a workaround for the problem, and will post it for anyone else with the same problem.

Instead of identifying the partition by the newly "preferred" UUID method, use the old descriptor method instead; /dev/sdXY (where X is the letter of the drive and Y the number identifying the partition, eg. /dev/sda1).

Changing my fstab entry to this worked perfectly:
    Code:
    dev/sda3 /.Data ntfs-3g defaults,user,umask=000,locale=en_US.utf8,windows_names 0 0
    It IS the manual entries in fstab causing the "black screen of death" on boot.. even using only the first manually entered line (which has a noauto option!) as the ONLY changing variable will reproduce the behavior every time.

So, this problem is related to UUID and fstab implementation during boot, the issue is also something new to 13.10 (at least in comparison to 12.04, I haven't tried the intermediates).

Does anyone think this is a bug? Should I see about posting on launchpad?
    I doubt this is a UUID bug. Post the output of
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is the output of requested command

Code:
    /dev/sda1      ntfs    System Reserved (not mounted) 5C4861E74861BFFE
    /dev/sda2      ntfs             (not mounted)      241A97F71A97C468
    /dev/sda3      ntfs    Data     /.Data             78C00125C000EAE8
    /dev/sda5      ext4    SaucySal /                  b6e86e27-5720-435b-978e-6ccfbb212cba
    /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
                   swap             <swap>             13b8bf86-0ac1-4113-9e00-aff842845f12
    If it's not a UUID bug, I think it's a bug in something. If it's not a bug in anything, then I'd have to say that imho it's poorly implemented functionality.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!