Thread: Use a second monitor to prevent radiation emissions being read..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Use a second monitor to prevent radiation emissions being read..?

I have been reading about how your computer can be surveilled by reading radiation off of the monitor.

So... if you were to surround your computer with other monitors, would this evade the surveillance..?

You could sit in a little evasion box... The outer walls would have monitors... so, you'd have a monitor on the roof, and on each side of the box, facing outward.

And then, you would sit inside the box, with your computer, using it as normal. Of course, you would have to take other evasion techniques, like removing the WiFi chip, not transferring data out with USB sticks.

But other than that, yeah... What do you think about the use of other monitors to distort the radiation emissions from the actual monitor that you are using..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Use a second monitor to prevent radiation emissions being read..?

Any device that emits a signal can be a target for surveillance. Simply tapping your ground house circuit can reveal all sorts of things about what is happening in the house. Electromagnetic signals from a PS2 cable from a keyboard can be detected and translated into keystrokes--a new twist on wireless keyboard. Of course wireless keyboards are just that--keylogger transmitters.

With enough sensitivity, any display that emits a signal could be a target, from any angle. You would need to be underground (2' of dirt would be good--doubles as nuclear radiation protection). Of course, tin foil hats need to be added to the mix. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=tin+foil
    Last edited by tgalati4; December 10th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    <snip>
    You would need to be underground (2' of dirt would be good--doubles as nuclear radiation protection). Of course, tin foil hats need to be added to the mix. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=tin+foil
    HA!

Or perhaps you could build and live in a huge Faraday Cage

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have to wonder if your house in the 'burbs is enough of a high-value target for someone with the expensive equipment to do that to be interested in parking the black van on your street ...

But just because I'm paranoid does not mean nobody is out to get me!
    Last edited by QIII; December 10th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

No one really answered my question....

I know that radiation can be read off a monitor.

But if you surround that monitor, then the signal would be surely be replaced by those of the surrounding monitors.

Kind of like if someone was listening in the background, and you played loud music and then whispered from inside the room.

You can distort the surveillance by putting out fake information.... kind of like Wikileaks clogging up their network data with fake data, so that the leaks are hidden within loads of fake data.

So... I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum knows what they are talking about, when it comes to monitor radiation..?

Like, would surrounding monitors distort the inner monitor or not?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The answer to whether you could distort the information that way is "No." You would create a lot of noise. Perhaps a lot of noise, depending on the number of extra monitors you used. But since we are talking in a general sense, it is also possible to isolate noise to some extent and extract some useful information.

Such a surveillance countermeasure is only effective against someone who has less money to spend on a counter-countermeasure.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By adding extra monitors, your electric bill would go up and then authorities would be tracking you because your electric bill is higher than everybody else in the neighborhood. So in theory, adding extra monitors would provide some measure of protection, but simply tapping your local ISP would provide all the information needed to make your life less secure.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The answer to whether you could distort the information that way is "No." You would create a lot of noise. Perhaps a lot of noise, depending on the number of extra monitors you used. But since we are talking in a general sense, it is also possible to isolate noise to some extent and extract some useful information.

Such a surveillance countermeasure is only effective against someone who has less money to spend on a counter-countermeasure.
    OK, so basically, you are using words like "a lot", but have no data.

I was just wondering if there were any actual scientific experiments done on such a surveillance evasion method.

I mean, I can test it out myself, but if someone else had done it, it would save me money.

All I'm saying is.. your post has no citations... So, I mean, it's not something that is easy to Google, so I just thought I'd see if any of the experts on this forum might know about such an experiment.

Maybe I should try a different website. A lot of jokes on this site, but little regard for personal privacy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

... but little regard for personal privacy.
    You're being a bit harsh on the folks here -- and entirely unfair to them, as well.

One person, in fact, already told you the way to avoid electronic surveillance -- but surrounding yourself with a Faraday cage. A quick Google on this will reveal several articles on how to make one cheaply.

Maybe I should try a different website.
    This website is for support of Ubuntu-related issues -- which yours clearly is not. So, yeah, you should search for a website that focuses on evading electronic surveillance -- realizing that Googling extensively for such information could very well cause you to become a "person of interest" to those in the "intel ..." community.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You forgot to mention that it is very important to make sure your tin-foil hat is correctly fitted!
    Why buy a 3D TV when all you need to do is step outside?