Thread: What tablet to get? (Ubuntu 14.04)

Hybrid View

Beans

What tablet to get? (Ubuntu 14.04)

I want to ask for a cheapish tablet for Christmas, so when 14.04 comes out i can install onto said tablet. My price range is up to $60, $70 if its really good.

So any addvice? What should i look for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What tablet to get? (Ubuntu 14.04)

Which version you mean; the desktop or the touch version? For the latter, there is a list here. Nexus 10 would be the best option I guess.

Beans

Any Nexus tablet should work, but good luck finding one for 60-70 dollars. I just paid $240 for my Nexux 7.

Beans

So i couldn't buy any old tablet and expect it to work with Ubuntus upcoming tablet os? It would have to be a nexus?! When i say i want to use ubuntu on it, I don't mean the dev preview, i mean the one thats coming out in 2014.

Beans

Of course i googled it! I didn't find the information i needed, so i posted here.

Beans

I think its pretty unlikely that a random super cheap tablet you get now will work with Ubuntu. Get something off the list of supported devices https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices
    The more popular a device is the more likely it is to be supported, or that some keen people will do an unofficial port, it's probably going end up being much the same situation as exists with custom ROMs such as Cyanogenmod...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are a number of so-called 'budget tabs' out there. I do know that Polaroid has some that are in your price range. HHGregg has a section of under 100$ tabs. Now the problem, these types of tabs usually have moderate to severly outdated components, older Android versions and such, and have only 4GB of storage. Some have expansion slots, the really cheap ones do not. Also Ram is a factor, cheaper tabs typically have a 1GB or less. Then theres the hassle of unlocking bootloaders/rooting....

Seriously your best bet is to get one that is supported by Ubuntu Touch. The list will grow to include more Tabs soon. And with two weeks away until that evil holiday known as Christmas, prices will drop to lure last minute shoppers.