Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Created Ubuntu SSO, not able to login to AskUbuntu

Beans

Created Ubuntu SSO, not able to login to AskUbuntu

Supposedly we only need one single login to access all of Ubuntu, but when I am already logged in here and go to AskUbuntu.com, it wants me to login.
    That should not happen if SSO is working.

On that login page I have some options. I have an Ubuntu SSO login and password, I should not have to sign-in using a 3rd party openID. Using google search I found a page on AskUbuntu said to use the Launchpad openID, as it was the same DB as SSO but had not changed names. This does not work, for me. Probably because I do not have a launchpad.

I tried to go into general settings here to see if I could configure Launchpad openID options as suggested on another post, but I can not do that either, there are restrictions.

So my question is, are there plans/ETA to get SSO working properly, and what should I do to sign-in to AskUbuntu using my SSO login, in the mean time?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Created Ubuntu SSO, not able to login to AskUbuntu

As this is not an Ubuntu technical support question, I've moved this from the Beginners Section to The Cafe where I am sure someone can answer your question about Askubuntu. Please be aware that askubuntu is separately administered from the forums here.

Edit: to pick up this point in your post:

I tried to go into general settings here to see if I could configure Launchpad openID options as suggested on another post, but I can not do that either, there are restrictions.
    The forums have not used Launchpad login since the beginning of the year. Forum login is entirely via Ubuntu One now and the post you found was probably an old one referring to the old method. The restrictions you mention are to do with spam control and are explained in the sticky below. They have nothing to do with login anywhere, Launchpad or Askubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 11th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Yes, Ubuntu is very clear when registering that profile editing is not an option until 10 posts are made. My question about that was how are we supposed to use AskUbuntu if we can not log in, or change our settings to allow us to login?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I must have misunderstood something cuz I can login with my Launchpad info (which is what I used to sign up for StackExchange) to AU.

Of course, that also means I have a launchpad account and use them for OpenID.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

so SSO does NOT work with AskUbuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's the same thing as Launchpad. They both use OpenID:

An Ubuntu One account is the new name for what used to be called an Ubuntu SSO account. Your Ubuntu One account is an email address and a password that you use to sign in to Ubuntu services like Ubuntu One Files and Music, Landscape, Launchpad, and more.
    https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/what...u-one-account/

You can use launchpad to sign into StackExchange and AskUbuntu.

Beans

Then why can't I login to launchpad(or AskUbuntu)? I am logged in here through SSO, when I go to launchpad(or AskUbuntu) it wants me to login or create an account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Doesn't it just provide you with a method to have a single set of credentials to log you in, not log you into all sites that support that method of authentication automatically? Just login and be on your way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm logged in here. I go to askubuntu. Choose launchpad enter my user name hit enter and it prefills my details. Hit enter. Logged in.

No password to enter so it must be using sso.

(Edit me wrong. I was already logged in at launchpad. Logged out now askubuntu needs launchpad email and password. )
    Last edited by philinux; December 12th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by grinch2 View Post
    Then why can't I login to launchpad(or AskUbuntu)? I am logged in here through SSO, when I go to launchpad(or AskUbuntu) it wants me to login or create an account.
    The fact that you are logged in here through Ubuntu One is irrelevant. As I've already mentioned, askubuntu and this forum are separately administered. They are different entities.

There are not many people here who can answer your question definitively since the one askubuntu admin who does frequent this forum from time to time hasn't logged in here for a little while. It's been a long, long time since I created my Launchpad account and I have no difficulty logging into askubuntu using my Launchpad credentials. It looks as though you will have to create a Launchpad account, or log into askubuntu from one of the other several possibilities such as Stack Exchange, myopenID, and so on. Why you can't use Ubuntu One for askubuntu login, I for one don't know. Perhaps they have plans to and haven't implemeted them yet. We've only been using Ubuntu One SSO login here for about 4-5 months.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast