Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An error occured

Beans

An error occured

I am a new user and now have a red no entry sign on the top bar. i t says an error occured, run package manager. i cant a package manager and i cant open the software centre and i cant update anytghing either. is this some kind of bug? HELP i am new to all this, i am trying to get away from microst and all of those problems...?? jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: An error occured

Copy the entire error message and paste it here.

Beans

A red 'no entry' sign has appeared on the top bar, and I am now barred from updating

I have no access to my software and I am not able to update. The error flag says I should use a package manager, what is a package manager and where do I find it. I have changed from MS to get away from bugs and a constant battle wids virus packages, have made a mistake changing to Ubuntu? Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: A red 'no entry' sign has appeared on the top bar, and I am now barred from upda

Quote Originally Posted by jon-h View Post
    I have no access to my software and I am not able to update. The error flag says I should use a package manager, what is a package manager and where do I find it. I have changed from MS to get away from bugs and a constant battle wids virus packages, have made a mistake changing to Ubuntu? Jon
    You are not barred.

Press the keys:

Ctrl+Alt+t and you will get a terminal.

At the prompt enter these codes.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update <Enter>
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade <Enter>
    Are you running the 14.04 'Trusty' version of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: A red 'no entry' sign has appeared on the top bar, and I am now barred from upda

Also a good idea to get your updates is adding a few aliases to .bashrc.

gedit ~/.bashrc

and add these lines at about line 92:

Code:
    # update aliases
    alias ud='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get clean'
    alias ud2='sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
    alias ud3='sudo apt-get autoremove'
    Logout and back in. Open up terminal Ctrl+Alt+t if you cannot access it any other way.
    Then just enter ud in terminal and your password and it will check for updates.

Then if there is an update held back because there is an additional file that is new enter ud2.

When it says you have unneeded packages and enter apt-get autoremove to remove them just enter ud3.

Although these help, ventrical knows more about this stuff than I do.

Beans
    Hidden!

My package manager just went all loopy on me as well... something with openjdk 7 went belly up. I had to do a sudo apt-get -f install to get it all sorted again... I am on Xubuntu 13.10 (just saying )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    My package manager just went all loopy on me as well... something with openjdk 7 went belly up. I had to do a sudo apt-get -f install to get it all sorted again... I am on Xubuntu 13.10 (just saying )
    If you know ranch hand, you'll recall he always called update manager "update mangler". He told me to always use the CLI method to get updates.

Someone in this forum told me how to put those into .bashrc but I cannot remember who it was.
    I added the third one "ud3" myself to save typing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Absolute Beginners Section.
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

Sounds like a broken icon??? Sometimes certain apps that are not compatible with various panels display a broken icon in the panel.

We don't even know which desktop environment you're using, or which flavor of Ubuntu you installed. I see you originally posted here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2192750

We really need much more info.

Beans

OP, you should probably take a screen shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast