Thread: mini itx combined frontend/backend

Beans

mini itx combined frontend/backend

I'm looking to rebuild my current combined frontend/backend and squeeze the finished case into a small compartment under my TV. I've found a great case which is quite pricey but it looks like it will do the job, the streacom fc5.

But hardware is going to be limited, to get the most of the HDD capacity I'd need to use a mitx mobo, is this even possible with a combined setup?

I'm interested to hear what people think of the case and any obvious issues.

Beans

Re: mini itx combined frontend/backend

I like these cases, but two things.

- For that kind of money I'd get one that holds more drives. You can never have too much storage on a BE.
    - They need to be in the open to cool properly. i.e. don't put it in a cabinet.

I ended up with a Lian Lu HTPC case for my combined BE/FE and I stuck a large 140mm fan in it that had been slowed with a resistor. I can't hear it.

Beans

Re: mini itx combined frontend/backend

The cabinet is not enclosed so hopefully that won't be a problem, I think the case can hold 3 3.5" Hdd if a mitx mono is used. The two issues are the price and finding a mini its mono that can be used as a combined fe/be, sure this can be done just need some advice from other users, hardware isn't something I'm great with.

An alternative case choice is the fractal node, this would need to go somewhere else but it can hold up to 6 Hdd.