Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried 14.04 yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried 14.04 yet?

I Just wondering if anyone had given it a go? I did last week and 1 thing that impressed me was that my Display Link usb adapter worked right out of the box, but the system was running VERY slowly with it. That gives me alot of hope I should have tried it without the adapter connected to see if that was what was causing the slowness though. But it is still beta though, but I was pleased to see it "just work" nonetheless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Have you tried 14.04 yet?

Hello!

Moved to Ubuntu +1.

The Ubuntu +1 subforum is dedicated to the current dev release, which is Trusty right now. Yes, a lot of us have tried it. If you want to discuss it in detail, this would be the place.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I have 13.10 now which I only recently installed. What improvements are there in the new 14.04 that would make it worth upgrading, other than the long support period of a major release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cchat View Post
    I have 13.10 now which I only recently installed. What improvements are there in the new 14.04 that would make it worth upgrading, other than the long support period of a major release?
    To get decisive answer to this question of Yours You will have to wait 3 months from now to see 14.04. Now, it is just part on drawing board and part on test-bench... Testing-bench is what this forum is part of...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@cptrohn

the system was running VERY slowly with it.
    Check to see what video driver you are using. From 13.10 Ubuntu uses as a fall-back video mode llvmpipe which attempts to give 3D effects on video adapters that do not have 3D acceleration. If llvmpipe is running on a video adapter that is capable of 3D acceleration then it does seem to run slowly from what we would normally expect. If we run Recovery Mode>Resume, then we get llvmpipe. Your system may have dropped into llvmpipe. That is what I am thinking.

@cchat

I think the days of noticeable differences from one release to another are over. Ubuntu 13.10 has Unity 7. Ubuntu 14.04 will have Unity 7 which in turn is not so very different from Unity 8 which will be in 14.10 or 15.04 at the latests. There are improvements on the way but I do not think that they will be of the sort that will be instantly noticeable.

The really interesting period will be between the release of 14.04 and the release of 15.04. That is when the convergence strategy will be complete (hopefully). Then we may see the Ubuntu phone/tablet utilities appearing on the Ubuntu desktop alongside or instead of the present utilities. We should also be able to install apps from the Ubuntu app store. The Dash will effectively replace the Software Centre as the means of downloading and installing applications. There is a useful looking music app that could replace Rhythmbox as the default music player. And we already have a Ubuntu Web Browser installed.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 29th, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    I Just wondering if anyone had given it a go? I did last week and 1 thing that impressed me was that my Display Link usb adapter worked right out of the box, but the system was running VERY slowly with it. That gives me alot of hope I should have tried it without the adapter connected to see if that was what was causing the slowness though. But it is still beta though, but I was pleased to see it "just work" nonetheless.
    IMO it runs very well for the most part. Although like others have said you do not want 14.04 to be the only thing you have until it's in final release in April. If you have a spare partition you could load it up and see.
    Ever since I believe it was Precise 12.04, prior to installation, I have to disconnect/turn off my Fantom USB drive. If I don't it tries to read/install there not sure and it hangs for a long time. Since subsequent releases did the same thing I just unmount it and turn it off before I install. That provides much better results. Before it would try to install grub on sdb (USB drive) instead of sda which caused problems.

Beans
    Distro

...and looking good at the moment...well worth a try
    /24.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Installed on my brand new laptop. Optimus compatibility is greatly improved. Haven't seen many differences between 13.04 (what I was running on my old laptop) and 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @cptrohn

Check to see what video driver you are using. From 13.10 Ubuntu uses as a fall-back video mode llvmpipe which attempts to give 3D effects on video adapters that do not have 3D acceleration. If llvmpipe is running on a video adapter that is capable of 3D acceleration then it does seem to run slowly from what we would normally expect. If we run Recovery Mode>Resume, then we get llvmpipe. Your system may have dropped into llvmpipe. That is what I am thinking.

@cchat

I think the days of noticeable differences from one release to another are over. Ubuntu 13.10 has Unity 7. Ubuntu 14.04 will have Unity 7 which in turn is not so very different from Unity 8 which will be in 14.10 or 15.04 at the latests. There are improvements on the way but I do not think that they will be of the sort that will be instantly noticeable.

The really interesting period will be between the release of 14.04 and the release of 15.04. That is when the convergence strategy will be complete (hopefully). Then we may see the Ubuntu phone/tablet utilities appearing on the Ubuntu desktop alongside or instead of the present utilities. We should also be able to install apps from the Ubuntu app store. The Dash will effectively replace the Software Centre as the means of downloading and installing applications. There is a useful looking music app that could replace Rhythmbox as the default music player. And we already have a Ubuntu Web Browser installed.

Regards
    Thanks for the reply, thats very interesting, hmm any ideas on how to disable the llvmpipe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been checking it out, off and on, using a machine I use for such things.

It seems in pretty good shape and ought to be a very nice, if non-startling, release.

Still, it's early yet. Stuff happens, so I would not, at the moment, use Trusty as my only system. For example, I did an install of yesterday's (30 Jan) daily. Some of the icons in System Settings would not respond to clicks. System Settings would not close. Clicking on the close icon just prompted the launch of another version.

Since Settings is being migrated away from the Gnome settings tool it has been based on, behavior like that isn't surprising. But, if those kind of bumps annoy you, then you probably are not a candidate for running a release still in development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast