Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xmonad desktop trusty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

xmonad desktop trusty

Just found yet another gem of a desktop. More simple than most, but unique and fast if you are willing to learn a few simple shortcuts.

I am testing to see if it threads through to my files by posting a screenshot.

edit:

Well... what do ya know ... cpu-usage shows up in psensors all of a sudden.. Hrmmmnn..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: xmonad desktop trusty

Here is the link to install xmonad. It's in the repos.

http://www.howtogeek.com/114728/how-...ger-for-linux/

Edit:

The above will tell you to wait for a black screen, but while using trusty you will see the background screen of lightdm and so just press SHIFT+ALT+ENTER and the terminal will come up.

Edit:

xmonad-gnome will give you background
    xmonad standalone will give you the blackspace.
    Last edited by ventrical; December 5th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The unity8 shell can use full screen so the emulator can turn your desktop into a virtual slate with nothing else on the screen. Will try some other experiments.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Unity 8 screenshot on xmonad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I was able to run VirtualBox on xmonad with another commercial operating system on it on an earlier LTS of Ubuntu and virtually do a side by side, while a demo was going on I was able to shift through different terminals using the ALT+ Spacebar short-cut. When I closed the virtual OS , xmonad was only using 149MB of Ram with three terminals open , glxgears and virtualbox still loaded. Now to try VBox on Trusty with Xmonad desktop and see if the memory-management behaves the same. Also using virtual box on xmonad will give the end_user a full screen virtual machine.

Running startx in a terminal gives me the Unity panel so this little windows manager is very versatile and efficient, and if the menu is installed it is even more efficient and user_friendly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think I'll give this a go tonight!
    Thanks Vent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Xmonad is great and it has been with us since 2007. or 2008. as far as I can remember...
    It should shine even more with multimonitor environment...
    Change of programming environment (as I can notice) did a nice boost to a great project...
    One of the very rear DM/WM that work with each and every component just from bare X.
    Stable as a rock. No surprise it is WM of choice for non-IT-researchers and programmers and any other such that they do want to think about other stuff than OS and WM...
    Last edited by zika; December 5th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Xmonad is great and it has been with us since 2007. or 2008. as far as I can remember...
    It should shine even more with multimonitor environment...
    Change of programming environment (as I can notice) did a nice boost to a great project...
    One of the very rear DM/WM that work with each and every component just from bare X.
    Stable as a rock. No surprise it is WM of choice for non-IT-researchers and programmers and any other such that they do want to think about other stuff than OS and WM...
    It has this neat little menu. When you hit ALT+P and then at the top left you can enter anything, ie; firefox..etc.. and it will list all the programs horizontally. Highlight them , hit enter and they will run. However.. there are some programs that you have to be in #root to run.

It reminds me a little bit of the Vax-Unix terminal that I was trained on during my school years

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; December 5th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    I think I'll give this a go tonight!
    Thanks Vent.
    Big problem here on an Intel MoBo Core2Duo. I chickened out and used the Software Center version of Virtual Box rather than downloading the Oracle version from their website. Also I did not turn on the VT in BIOS before I installed a version of Precise. I had had some problems previously with Virtual Box on Trusty and had to reinstall. It seems to have affected my graphics driver after I created that virtual machine. Also .. I could not get the full screen to come using the xmonad short-cut Alt+Spacebar as I was able to previously ... so ... I would be careful as I am not really sure what happened on this machine. I'll enable the VT and see what happens.

The goal of this testing is to see if I can use xmonad to run two different virtual machines simutaneously (and be able to see them run side by side). I had some sort of a reasonable facsimile using an XP iso running it's demo ..etc... so I am sure others have gone before me on this. It is just a curiosity to me to see if one can run two OSes on seperate tiles. ie; ubuntu trusty on one and Win8 (or other Ubutnu flavor) on the other without stopping the progression of the programs running on either tile.

So I'll take a back-step on this and see if it will work on 12.04, then try it on 14.04.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; December 5th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    However.. there are some programs that you have to be in #root to run.
    ??? Those programs need sudo priviledges anyway and we're used to use them with {gksu, sudo (where appropriate)} all the time...

Apart from that:
    For those wanting to use gmrun (as they're accustomed): Alt-Shift-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast