Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

usb don't work in virtualbox

hi
    i m running ubuntu studio 13.04 kernel 3.8.0-34-lowlatency,
    using virtualbox 4.2. 10
    having installed windows xp 32-bit as my guest os

My problem is that the the guest os cannot recognize any usb device connected to any port of the pc. the ports are usb3, compatible with usb2 and the two front are usb2

in system--> users and groups --> manage groups I' ve added my user name to the vboxusers, vboxsf and lp groups.
    I ve also have installed all the virualbox sidepacks from synaptic.
    and the extension pack from virtualbox.org
    VBoxManage list extpacks
    Extension Packs: 1
    Pack no. 0: Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
    Version: 4.2.20
    Revision: 90983
    Edition:
    Description: USB 2.0 Host Controller, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM with E1000 support.
    VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP
    Usable: true
    Why unusable:

any suggestions?
    Last edited by spiridonios; December 9th, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: mark as solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: usb don't work in virtualbox

If you have installed the virtual box from the repository (the open source version), it does not support USB. To get the USB support you have to download the version of virtual box from the oracle website(the private user licenced version but still free).

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by spiridonios View Post
    any suggestions?
    What's the error when you try to enable a device, if you right click on the virtualbox USB icon, can you select the device ?

Quote Originally Posted by migs73 View Post
    If you have installed the virtual box from the repository (the open source version), it does not support USB. To get the USB support you have to download the version of virtual box from the oracle website(the private user licenced version but still free).
    This is no longer the case, for a while now both the repository version and the virtualbox website version are identical, both can use USB devices with the addition of the extension pack. There is no separate PUEL version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: usb don't work in virtualbox

mmm, weird.. I thought I've right clicked on the usb icon many times before.. could be that I had not

anyway that's a relief! It's the first time i see my usb devices attached, listed on a window when i right click on the usb icon. I "ticked" two usb storage devices on the list. The windows pop up notification and the unmount bar icon appeared but i couldn't really open them and when i swiched on my scanner (it got also recognized in the vb's usb icon menu) the guest Os "stucked" not allowing me to click on ant button.

after restarting a couple of times the guest Os, and playing around with usb devices everything seems to work just fine!
    I think that opening a usb device in my host Os, then closing it and "ticking" on the virtualbox 'es guest Os, helped in making the guest recognising it..
    Everything seems to work just fine. I hope it 'ii continue like this

Howefield your point turned to be really usefull!
    Thank you guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    This is no longer the case, for a while now both the repository version and the virtualbox website version are identical, both can use USB devices with the addition of the extension pack. There is no separate PUEL version.
    And I've been avoiding the one in the repository for ages!!

Thanks for the info.

Mike
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by spiridonios View Post
    Howefield your point turned to be really usefull!
    Glad you got it sussed

Quote Originally Posted by migs73 View Post
    And I've been avoiding the one in the repository for ages!!
    Well, there is another reason for getting the deb package from the website and that is version numbers. Even the current development version Trusty Tahr doesn't have the most recent Virtualbox version.

Just wanted to point out that the repository version isn't a barrier to getting USB support ect working.