Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Harmony 650 remote - how do I set it up?

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Harmony 650 remote - how do I set it up?

I've searched on the web and the only things I found out are:

(1) Logitech's site for programming the remote doesn't work wih this version of FIrefox

(2) Something call Congruity.

I installed congruity and now have no clue what I'm supposed to do.

What I was *hoping* I could do:

- set the Logitech Harmony 650 remote to control my Pi media center (MS xbox dvd remote def works in XBMC with other remote), my TV, my Comcast DVR cable box and my surround sound/dvd piece of equipment. I say "my", but this is for my sister and brother in-law. I've got the Pi media center working great now, so I want to give them a universal remote that does everything. The 650 seems like it would be ok for them to use, and it will replace a wireless mouse and 3 other remotes.

I was hoping this meant just looking a piece of equipment, like the TV, up on Logitech's site and have it give me a code or do whatever to program the remote.

Perhaps this is beyond what I was thinking? I am a total novice at this remote also.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Harmony 650 remote - how do I set it up?

Congruity is apparently a replacement for the Logitech plugin for Firefox.

Logitech Harmony One

See if that post helps you at all. I don't personally own a Harmony remote but my father does. I am sure I could snag his for a few hours to play with it one weekend.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've only been able to program my Harmony 700 successfully from Windows. I tried once using a Windows VirtualBox VM to program it, but I could never get the application to see the remote over the USB connection, even with the proprietary extensions for VirtualBox installed. I eventually just booted a copy of Windows and ran Firefox from there.

Logitech used to distribute a Windows application to program their remotes, but they have switched to an entirely web-based approach.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hummmm.....don't see Congruity in the add-on list in Firefox, and I don't know how to add it. It doesn't show in a search of the add-ons stie either.

I would try my small XP install I've been using to scan in videotapes, but there seems to be a problem with it. I had to completely wipe my PC in order to make room for XP (didn't see anyway to shrink the linux partition(s) and no way to make the Windows partition the primary). After doing so, I did the typical install Windows, defrag a couple of times, then install Ubuntu with no problem. Went back to the bare XP SP2 install, added SP3 then added my wifi driver and then the fun started. The very first thing I did was make sure the skimpy windows firewall was at least running, then downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials for XP only to have it hang when it was updating the database. Can't run Windows update anymore either. If I didn't know better I'd swear something happened to the activation but yet no messages or that silly little gold key show. Think I'm going to completely reinstall again and see if it works or not.

Maybe I'll just try the VM thing first - I think the current downloads with the add-ons pack for virtualbox support USB so I'll see. I know I have other devices that don't work through the USB on virtualbox because of the way they manipulate things at the low level. I've done some coding with libusb-dev in Ubuntu myself and can see how it could be a challange to implement via a VM.

EDIT: I should add that when I try to start Congruity gui there is nothing in the Unity menus for it even though I installed it. If I start congruity via the command line it wants a file name - I assume the binary file to actually program the remote with, which is rather difficult to get considering I can't get logitech's site to work with the linux version of Firefox (the site is expecting Windows or Mac).
    Last edited by squakie; December 9th, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just tried the user agent switcher and setting to IE 8. That at least got me so I could set up an account. The next step was to download and add Silverlight and some other .exe for their browser externsion. Looks like I will need to use Windows ;(. Oh well. Someday the vendors will catch up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Congruity is in Software Centre.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Congruity is in Software Centre.
    Se post #1 = "installed Congruity"........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I'm batting 1000. Installed Virtualbox from Oracle's site, made in XP Pro SP3 VM, installed the additions "pack", but still can't enable USB 2.0, and it appears the device or their add-on or something must require it. Ubuntu sees the device via lsusb as:
    Code:
    Bus 007 Device 003: ID 046d:c122 Logitech, Inc. Harmony 700 Remote
    even though it is a 650, but Ubuntu does see it on the USB.

I have an empty filter in the USB setup for VirtualBox as when I've used it in the past that was all I needed.

Logitech's add-on to Firefox just isn't finding it.

Back to the drawing board or write it off as a big chunk of change down the toilet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok. one boo-boo. Installed add-ons but not the extension pack. Installed the extension pack - now the USB 2.0 controller is recognized. However, the Harmony plugin never finds my remote yet. I bought it used so I didn't get a cable with it, but I'm using a micro-usb cable that I assume must be more than just a "power" cable in that Ubuntu sees the device. Back to more hunting, but I'm not really sure where else to look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, here I sit. Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit host, Windows XP Professional SP3 running in the latest Virtualbox from Oracles' site. Installed the guest additions, installed the extension pack. USB 2.0 controller is enabled. vboxuser group is there and I am a member of the group. The PC was restarted after adding me to the group. For the running VM, the USB inidicator says "no captured devices".

I've looked online, I've looked at the vbox site, I've looked in the forums, but can't figure out what I haven't done that this isn't working. I have seen it in many threads but they always say to make sure you are part of the vboxusers group (and rebooting - when a log off/log on would work) after adding your userid to the group.

I tried adding a filter with the manufacturerid and productid from lsusb - still no go.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast