Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to delete vidoes stored in Dash 'My Videos' in 12.04?

Beans

Re: How to delete vidoes stored in Dash 'My Videos' in 12.04?

It seems that renaming the Video folder is not going to work because as soon as you change back to the original name the files come back. It is like if you unplug a usb the files in it are gone from the dash but when you plug it back the dash remembers somehow. So you have to first set exclude the Video folder from recording activities and then rename those files and keep their new names.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

OK. Tried another angle. Renamed Videos folder in Home back to its default name.
    Then created a new Vids folder right next to the Videos folder in Home. Moved all Video files to the new Vids folder, leaving Video folder empty and Dash now shows all those regenerated files gone again!

Privacy is set to exclude audio and video files and the Record Activity switch is turned off......will keep my fingers crossed and see how this works.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans

It won't work unless you have excluded the Vids folder from privacy settings BEFORE you move the files from Videos to Vids, for otherwise activities in Vids would be recorded.

If you want to live with the default Videos folder having a different name, you could have done:
    Create a new folder named Vids
    Exclude it from privacy settings
    Rename Vids to Vids-1
    Rename Videos to Vids
    then delete Vids-1
    Reboot/logout.

That should work too (without moving files). The hard part is if you want to keep the folder's name.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 10th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It won't work unless you have excluded the Vids folder from privacy settings BEFORE you move the files from Videos to Vids, for otherwise activities in Vids would be recorded.
    Did exclude the Vids folder from privacy settings BEFORE I moved the files from Videos to Vids and so far it has worked.

Don't mind having a Videos and Vids folder in Home, so will consider this solved.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12