Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot from usb drive

Beans

Can't boot from usb drive

I created a bootable disk with Unbuntu 12.04 using unebootin. When I put the usb in my 2006 Gateway laptop and start up, I go to the boot menu and click the boot from USB storage stick option. Then the screen goes black and nothing happens or it says operating system missing. I have tried installing on 2 different flash drives and have downloaded Unbuntu twice. What am I missing? Please help.

Beans

Re: Can't boot from usb drive

The best way I found for instaling the operating system on a USB drive it to first burn a DVD with the ISO image.

Then boot up on the DVD. After which select making it a permenant install.

After you select it for install follow the custom option and select your USB stick. Format it with ETH4 selected and don't forget to select "/" for the boot. Then install.

This is from memory so it may not be 100% but this should get you through the install.

In fact I'm on my USB Linux Box as I'm typing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z4zm27ZGW4
    Last edited by Eugene King; December 9th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beans

My dvd player does not work on my p.c. so using a dvd is not an option. I did use the usb installer and unebootin and it's still not working. I'm going to check the md5 sum and also try loading it onto another p.c.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

Beans

Well, after spending almost a full day trying to figure out why Unbuntu wouldn't boot on my p.c. from a usb, I tried it on my GF's computer and it loaded right up. Why can't my p.c. see the operating system? I don't have a working dvd drive on my p.c., is there any other way I can load Unbuntu on my p.c.? I want to do a clean install. Thank you.

Beans

Hi,

If your computer cannot boot from your USB drive, the first thing to check is if the USB drive is bootable. As you've tested that, then that's one less problem to worry about.

The next thing you want to check is if the USB drive is in the "boot order". There are a series of devices the computer checks to see if there is an OS. There could be two reasons why it doesn't boot from the USB drive:

1) The USB drive isn't in the list of places to look for an OS.
    2) It is on the list, but at a lower order than the hard disk, which already has an operating system.

You need to enter your BIOS and look for these two items and change them so that USB drive is on the list and that it is higher on the list than the hard disk. Some systems have it purposely omitted for security reasons (so that someone can put in a USB drive to boot the computer). So, after you're done with what you need, you might want to change the settings back.

When the computer starts up, enter BIOS. Usually, it'll ask you to hit a key like F11 or F12. It varies from computer to computer. You'll just have to look for it when the computer starts up, but *before* it starts up the operating system.

Good luck!

Beans

If I made a USB ubuntu stick off my XP work computer using a DVD and while running off the DVD do the perminent install on the USB stick I could not boot up on it on my Windows 7 laptop at home to do updates.

Why? I havent a clue. I even tried repairing the boot protion and enede up wrecking the hole thing

I can however use my windows laptop to make a USB stick and it will boot up on both XP and Win 7.........

Problem with installing Ubuntu on a USB stick using PenDrive is that its not the perminant install.......You can brows the net save sites to favorates etc....and when you boot up to it again its like the first time......every time.

I've made a bunch of USB drives. And the best way is to start with the DVD and do the instal on the USB.

Ignore the Bold type I hit a wrong option.....I'm not yelling.

But in the end its up to you...Use your GF's PC to burn a DVD and create a USB Ubuntu stick........

Beans

My USB Ubuntu and tethering with my iPhone is my freedom on my long 12hr work days with no equipement brakedowns.

Plus I can bring work from home and work on it.......

Now if i could only get OpenOffice to work......

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by james2b View Post
    +1

There are many useful tips at those links

Quote Originally Posted by infamous45 View Post
    My dvd player does not work on my p.c. so using a dvd is not an option. I did use the usb installer and unebootin and it's still not working. I'm going to check the md5 sum and also try loading it onto another p.c.

I'm still open to more suggestions.
    0. Did you check the md5sum of the iso file?

1. What about your computer? It will be easier, if you specify

- CPU
    - RAM (size)
    - Graphics chip/card
    - Wifi chip/card

1a. Maybe standard Ubuntu with Unity needs more horsepower. Try Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 'Precise' with a lighter desktop environment

1b. Maybe there are problems with the graphics driver. Try some boot options. Start with nomodeset.

3. You can also try cloning the iso file. Use mkusb to reduce the risk to write to the wrong device according to the Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives"

Quote Originally Posted by infamous45 View Post
    Well, after spending almost a full day trying to figure out why Unbuntu wouldn't boot on my p.c. from a usb, I tried it on my GF's computer and it loaded right up. Why can't my p.c. see the operating system? I don't have a working dvd drive on my p.c., is there any other way I can load Unbuntu on my p.c.? I want to do a clean install. Thank you.
    Yes there is also the One Button Installer, that can make clean installs in an easy way.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene King View Post
    My USB Ubuntu and tethering with my iPhone is my freedom on my long 12hr work days with no equipement brakedowns.

Plus I can bring work from home and work on it.......

Now if i could only get OpenOffice to work......
    Have you tried LibreOffice? I think that package is better than OpenOffice today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast