Thread: file sharing issue

Beans

file sharing issue

This is a repost from the Ubuntu network forum:

New Ubuntu guy, 13.10.
    I recently purchased a system76 computer and trying to share folders/files. I have other Ubuntu and Windows systems on my home network so I've gone the samba route. I've got all the other computers talking...except the new system76 computer. I go though the normal routine (right click to sharing and set it up) and all seems normal but I continue to get an "Unable to access location, Failed to mount windows share: permission denied" error when trying to access the files from another ubuntu or windows system. I can access all the other computers with the system76 but they cannot access the files on it. probably something simple I'm missing (could it be somthing I did on initial set up?)...smbtree posted below.

thirty@Linux76a:~$ smbtree
    Enter thirty's password:
    WORKGROUP
    \\LINUX76A Linux76a server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    \\LINUX76A\Dave's on Linux
    \\LINUX76A\Sharetest
    \\LINUX76A\PhotosBackup
    \\LINUX76A\EPSON-WF-3540-Series EPSON WF-3540 Series
    \\LINUX76A\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\LINUX76A\IPC$ IPC Service (Linux76a server (Sa

Beans

Re: file sharing issue

I have similar problem, on my laptop. It has an Ubuntu 13.10 OS.

I shared a folder: /home/user/Downloads using right-click-> Sharing options...-> Share this folder-> Share name: "Downloads", Comments: "my downloads", both of Allow others to create and delete files in this folder and Guest access (for people without a user account) options are checked.

After applying above changes, whenever I want to access the shared folder from another computer (on my home WiFi network) I open a nautilus window and press "Connect to Server" then enter smb://192.168.0.102/ in the "Server Address" box. Nautilus shows two folders: "Downloads" and "Print$"

If double click on "Print$", a new dialog opens and asks me for username and password as follows:

I do not know if I must enter my connecting computer username/password or username/password of the computer the folder belongs to? Also I do not know how I should enter my username: just "username" or "username@computername" or other pattern? However any username and password lead no success:
    the dialog is opened again. An interesting thing is that if I press "Cancel" (instead of connect") the dialog is closed and opened again and if I press "Cancel" for the second time the dialog is closed forever!

If double click on newly shared folder "Downloads", then I receive an error: "Unable to access location: Failed to mount Windows share: Permission denied".

I searched the web to find a solution, but not found any working one.

I checked /etc/samba/smb.config and found no entry about "Downloads" folder! so I added following lines manually to smb.config
    Code:
    [Downloads]
       comment = my downloads
       path = /home/user/Downloads
       browseable = yes
       read only = no
       guest ok = yes
       locking = no
    and then restarted smbd service. But adding above lines to smb.config did not solved the problem!

Beans

Re: file sharing issue

I have similar problem, on my laptop. It has an Ubuntu 13.10 OS. </br>

I shared a folder: /home/user/Downloads using right-click-> Sharing options...-> Share this folder-> Share name: "Downloads", Comments: "my downloads", both of Allow others to create and delete files in this folder and Guest access (for people without a user account) options are checked. </br>

After applying above changes, whenever I want to access the shared folder from another computer (on my home WiFi network) I open a nautilus window and press "Connect to Server" then enter smb://192.168.0.102/ in the "Server Address" box. </br>

Nautilus shows two folders: "Downloads"; and "Print$" </br>

If double click on "Print$", a new dialog opens and asks me for username and password as follows: </br>

I do not know if I must enter my connecting computer username/password or username/password of the computer the folder belongs to? Also I do not know how I should enter my username: just "username" or "username@computernamd" or other pattern? However any username and password lead no success: the dialog is opened again. An interesting thing is that if I press "Cancel" (instead of connect" the dialog is closed and opened again and if I press "Cancel" for the second time the dialog is closed forever! </br>

If double click on newly shared folder "Downloads", then I receive an error: "Unable to access location: Failed to mount Windows share: Permission denied". </br>

I searched the web to find a solution, but not found any working one. </br>

I checked /etc/samba/smb.config and found no entry about "Downloads" folder! so I added following lines manually to smb.config </br>
    Code:
    [Downloads]  
    comment = my downloads  
    path = /home/user/Downloads   
    browseable = yes  
    read only = no  
    guest ok = yes  
    locking = no
    and then restarted smbd service. But adding above lines to smb.config did not solved the problem!</br>
    Last edited by PHP_Learner; February 21st, 2014 at 03:06 PM.