Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usuable Desktop

Beans

Usuable Desktop

Just installed unbuntu on virtualbox on my Macbook Pro 9,1 looks great and appears to be working great. One major issue is the usable desktop space. I realise it is through virtualbox but I am losing about a 3rd of my usable desktop. Is there some way I can increase the usable area? I have a 13" screen on my Macbook so it was small enough in the original format.

Want to use unbuntu but at the moment is doesn't appear to be a good option, please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Usuable Desktop

What do you mean by usable space?
    Is the vb ubuntu desktop size smaller than the vb programs window or something.

A screenshot can give us a better understanding of what you mean.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    What do you mean by usable space?
    Is the vb ubuntu desktop size smaller than the vb programs window or something.

A screenshot can give us a better understanding of what you mean.

When I usable space I mean the area in the desktop I can actually view and work in.
    THe VB screen fills the Mac screen no problems but the unbuntu terminal window remains the same size in normal mode and full screen, full screen sees a black border around the unbuntu terminal.
    I have attempted to get a decent screenshot and attach my best effort
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try changing the resolution.
    Open the dash and search/type Displays.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

If the virtual machine desktop is not filling the VirtualBox application window on the host when you resize / maximize it, then that is usually because you have not reserved enough video memory in the VM setup (under the VirtualBox Settings menu --> Display --> Video)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Try changing the resolution.
    Open the dash and search/type Displays.
    Thanks, dumb question for you but I am new to this so please bear with me. Where do I find the "dash"? I assume you mean dashboard or is it another terminal window? Is this in VB or unbuntu?

Cheers
    Brian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    If the virtual machine desktop is not filling the VirtualBox application window on the host when you resize / maximize it, then that is usually because you have not reserved enough video memory in the VM setup (under the VirtualBox Settings menu --> Display --> Video)
    Done this and rebooted but still the same. Do I need to reinstall unbuntu after changing the setting?

Cheers
    Brian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The dash is what opens when you click on the topmost icon in the launcher (dock!). Or you can tap the super key to open the dash. I think the super key on an Apple keyboard is the cmd key. Click on one of the desktop guides in my sig to get a complete guide to the Unity desktop.

By the way - have you installed guest additions in Ubuntu? It's been a long time since I've used virtualised Ubuntu in VBox but I think you only get a default resolution until you install guest additions. Plus, using a virtualised OS is very clunky until you do install guest additions.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Coffeecat,

I have attached a snapshot of the display, only 2 choices available here. If this is not the correct option please let me know.
    Having not heard of "guest additions" is meaningless to me, please can you expand.

Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure, did you increase the resolution from something like 800x600 to what is in that screenie of 1024x768?
    I can see that the window is now too big for the currently looking window, as it now has scrollbars on the bottom and right-hand side.

As far as guest additions go, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to install them on a mac.
    You'll probably have to go to the virtualbox website for that.

I do notice, off hand, that you're running, what seems to be, without 3d acceleration enabled, as the launcher seems like it is the 2d launcher version for ubuntu. If that sentence makes sense.
    You can try enabling that in the vb settings > displays. If you want.
    Of course if the 3d is already enabled, disregard my comment and laugh it off.
    Earn Your Keep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast