Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu or Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu or Windows 8

Keep W8 and install Ubuntu along side. You can make a set of W8 DVDs from within Windows. You may want to do a system backup before making any changes first.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Quote Originally Posted by sagemaster210v2 View Post
    Oh, and when I said i don't have full use, i meant like accessing my video drivers, and so on. For some odd reason, since i'm running off of an external usb harddrive, i can't update my video card from it, and when i try to on windows 8, which i have forgotten the admin password for (don't question it), it asks for the admin pass in order to update it. Also applications like steam, that have built in video card updaters (not sure if thats a word) can't read/search for an update since its not actually on my laptop. Another thing is that i can't use flash drives (usb) because Ubuntu is not actually on my laptop.
    Possibly you are confusing drivers with firmware? Booting from a usb connected hard drive shouldn't affect your being able to install drivers. Drivers are software and their physical location is on the hard drive platter, not in the video card. Installing new FIRMWARE to your video card is something most of us never do but it IS possible, at least in principle, if the card supports it and someone, usually the manufacturer, makes it available. It is concievable that your video card manufacturer might have a firmware updater tool that only run under windows. But installing Ubuntu to the hd isn't going to change that if that's the case. Basically, as far as I know, and I've been booting from a usb drive for more than a year, internal or external drive doesn't affect what you can do with a system. External is typically a little slower, that's all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For me. there are two good reasons to keep W8: first there is the compatibility issue, also for programs you don't use (yet) but can be of interest in the future. After all you paid for the license why not keep the option of using it? Second is a first-hand experience with the OS that actually stays the market leader: Windows is not dead, and W8 is here to stay. Actually a new user interface is nothing to surprise Ubuntu users...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sagemaster210v2 View Post
    Oh, and when I said i don't have full use, i meant like accessing my video drivers, and so on. For some odd reason, since i'm running off of an external usb harddrive, i can't update my video card from it, and when i try to on windows 8, which i have forgotten the admin password for (don't question it), it asks for the admin pass in order to update it. Also applications like steam, that have built in video card updaters (not sure if thats a word) can't read/search for an update since its not actually on my laptop. Another thing is that i can't use flash drives (usb) because Ubuntu is not actually on my laptop.
    What do you mean by running off an external usb harddrive? It sounds like you have a live usb. On the other hand if you actually install Ubuntu in an external hard drive (with the proper linux file system) you can do all these things and if it is a hard drive (not a flash drive) you can get the same speed and performance as an internal install. I am typing from Ubuntu 13.10 installed on an 500 G external hard drive now (using maybe only 20 g now) Usually I set up the next OS in my external drive, do all the testing and customization and run it for may be a month to make sure everything works, then clone it to my internal hard drive (currently on Ubuntu 13.04) that way there will be no unpleasant surprises from upgrading. This (a real install in an external hard drive) is a really good way to test hardware compatibility before you do anything to your internal hard drive.

Well ask yourself if you would need Windows, if the answer is yes, then keep it. If no, get rid of it. I don't get all the advise to keep Windows 'just in case'. No Windows user would waste their hard drive space to keep Linux 'just in case'. Are we not having confidence in our OS? Personally I got rid of XP after dualbooting for a few months, never used it, never boot into it except for updating antivirus.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 8th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Like myself I ditched Windows products all together for the security aspect of it no longer have to worry about cross contamination from sharing things back in forth between Linux and Windows. 99% of all the software I use Linux has a answer for. There is only a few programs that I use in a VirtualBox and cure that problem. So as for keeping Win8 I say for a noobie kept as a dual boot for now till you get your feet wet then once your comfortable I say yank Win8 out and never turn back. I got a good friend in Riggins, ID that I taught Ubuntu operations and basics. He had his first sample of Win8 from another friend and it was OMG! he was totally lost and was all thumbs operating Win8. He wasn't impressed at all so net result he grabbed his little Lubuntu and smiled...
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man
    Running 4 computers all with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

Beans

Dual booting is up to you. I personally would ditch Windows and move over to Ubuntu or some Linux distro. I haven't had any problems completing tasks or finding equivalent software. Prior to switching 100% I was no stranger to Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux. Its just a matter of doing it and not looking back.

At the end of the day you have to look at your needs and what you want. If you feel like Ubuntu is going to do the job then I don't see the point in keeping the Windows install on your hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would only keep the win 8 if you might need it for school or work. Do burn the restore and repair DVDs though either way as it gives you a fallback option and do backup everything important! I always use Ubuntu classic but keep a win machine as I have to give tech support to windozers quite often at our library, never without the free speech on why linux rocks before I fix the annoying win issues
    Last edited by cmcanulty; December 9th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Is your computer under warranty? If so, by installing Ubuntu, you could void the warranty. Have you thought about installing it virtually?
    I buy a machine to run my software and OS. It doesn't make sense to have to use the machine in ways which are suboptimal for my purpose just because of the warranty. It is like using a crippled machine voluntarily. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't run my OS of choice, crippled and suboptimally in a vbox inside an OS that I can't stand, on my own machine just because of the warranty, sooner or later it will expire anyway.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 9th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

Because i got it preinstalled from my uncle. My laptop is kinda old, and my uncle decided to install windows 8 on it (he works for dell so yeah)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Although it is indeed heartwarming to see that so many people have found the Linux-sphere has progressed to the point that they no longer need Windows, we must remember that our own needs do not reflect the needs of others. I side with those who advise the OP to keep Windows. Aside from eating up a few GB of disk space, it does not hurt and can only help to keep it kicking around. The only drawback to W8 is that an OEM install is almost impossible to convert into a VM, so W8 must either be kept as a dual boot or Ubuntu must actually be run as the VM inside the W8 host. I agree with monkeybrain20122 that confining Ubuntu within a VM would stick in my craw, but setting up a dual-boot is not that difficult.

@OP

Ultimately, it's up to you. You are getting lots of good comments here, each bringing a different facet to your attention. But only you know your own situation. I do agree with the observation that Ubuntu has reached the point where the general user can find good equivalents to almost anything the Windows world has to offer.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast