Thread: Random applications open on start up

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Random applications open on start up

Hi,

Using the Xubuntu desktop (with xfce version 4.1) with a primary Lubuntu 12.10 installation, I have noticed that random applications open on start up. First it was Chromium and Thunar file manager, then they stopped and Synaptic kept opening (without administrator privileges), now that has stopped and it's Thunar again. Could these be applications I have recently used frequently and Xubuntu thinks I'll want to run them again? Well, I'd rather decide myself. How can I change this behaviour?

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Random applications open on start up

In my ubuntu 12.04, I can click on menu: apps -->system tools ---> preferences ---> apps at starting and there, I can tick or untick the apps I want to run at the beginning, also you can add or remove other apps

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have Xubuntu 12.10, the procedure is slightly different:
    - click on Settings Manager > Session and Startup (under the System heading), then the Session tab
    - this lists all the applications currently running in my session, and at the right there is a column headed 'restart style'
    - click on the applications you don't want to restart automatically and change the 'restart style' value to 'if running'
    - make sure that you close those applications before you shut down or restart

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thank you to both. Yes, amanchesterman, the procedure should be as you describe. However, the application that currently opens automatically is Thunar, it is marked "if running", and I have always been careful to close it before shutting down. Yet it does not behave as it should, and opens anyway on start up.

Also in "Session and Startup", there is an "Application Autostart" tab. Thunar is not listed in it.

Any other suggestions?

Beans

Maybe it has something to do with your "session cache".
    See http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/preferences
    and
    http://askubuntu.com/q/382331/25656
    and
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12864536

Re. the last link, I always log out via the first route.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thank you vasa1, yes you are right, that does seem to be the problem. I guess I'll just have to be careful about the way I shut down the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you have fixed your problem, please mark the thread as solved with "thread tools" in order other posters can find information easily-

Thanks.

Beans

This is a very annoying problem of xfce for as long as I can remember. The only sure fire way to fix it, it seems, is to lock the session-cache. Right click it, set permission to 'none' and this would solve your problem once and for all. (deleting the cache doesn't solve the problem as it regenerates itself and I don't want to be always careful keeping track of how I log out or shut down)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 9th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Very good, monkeybrain20122! I've done what you suggested.

@ claracc: yes I will, but I'll see how I go on the next few start ups, first.