Thread: Question about upgrading Ubuntu.

Beans

Question about upgrading Ubuntu.

Hi everyone,

If I upgrade to other versions of Ubuntu like 12.10/13.04/13.10 will I lose all my files? and so will my stubborn wireless dongle's drivers have to be installed again?

Thank you
    MJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question about upgrading Ubuntu.

No, your home folder is preserved.

About the wireless, the upgraded software, in the beginning, will control it better, but in order to avoid problems before upgrading you can try the live CD or DVD of the new release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mjalberts13 View Post
    Hi everyone,

If I upgrade to other versions of Ubuntu like 12.10/13.04/13.10 will I lose all my files? and so will my stubborn wireless dongle's drivers have to be installed again?

Thank you
    MJ
    I had a nice, descriptive reply written out for you... and then my computer crashed (hardware problem - the data cable to the hard disk failed) so I lost it all.

In a nutshell, you shouldn't bother going to 12.10 or 13.04 because they will only be supported for five months or less. 13.10 will be supported for the next eight months, so if you are upgrading, this is what you should upgrade to.

13.10 has newer drivers, so it might have the correct wireless driver already loaded. If it doesn't, though, you will need to reload your wireless driver. You do for any kernel update.

The best way of getting to 13.10 is to download the DVD image, burn it and boot from it, and install 13.10 to the same partitions that you currently use. As long as you don't tick the "Format" box, your files will be preserved. EVEN if your /home is on the same partition as /, your personal files and settings on /home will be preserved.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I had a nice, descriptive reply written out for you... and then my computer crashed (hardware problem - the data cable to the hard disk failed) so I lost it all.

In a nutshell, you shouldn't bother going to 12.10 or 13.04 because they will only be supported for five months or less. 13.10 will be supported for the next eight months, so if you are upgrading, this is what you should upgrade to.

13.10 has newer drivers, so it might have the correct wireless driver already loaded. If it doesn't, though, you will need to reload your wireless driver. You do for any kernel update.

The best way of getting to 13.10 is to download the DVD image, burn it and boot from it, and install 13.10 to the same partitions that you currently use. As long as you don't tick the "Format" box, your files will be preserved. EVEN if your /home is on the same partition as /, your personal files and settings on /home will be preserved.
    I have read on some other threads that if you wish to upgrade it is recommended to go from 12.04 to 12.10 to 13.04 to 13.10 is this then untrue? here is the post.
    Last edited by mjalberts13; December 7th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

If you wish to "upgrade" this would mean either using the "software manager" or the "terminal" to upgrade to the newest version of the OS, the recommendation would be to upgrade to each individual version step be step as you mention above. My view is it is always better to do a clean install. So I would agree with "3rdalbum" advice to you. Rather just burn a copy of 13.10 if that is were you want to go, and test it on your hardware first in live mode. If all works and you are happy you then install it fresh as already suggested above.

Beans

Thank you very much!

Beans

If you are using an LTS version and wish to stick with it, then you can upgrade to the next LTS version. Otherwise, you have to upgrade version by version.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine