Thread: Could Win 7 corrupt a iso file of Ubuntu?

Beans

Could Win 7 corrupt a iso file of Ubuntu?

I was reading a lot to check md5 etc, and it seems absolute impossible to know for sure if checking only bootable cd, but what to check to be sure if my bootable cd is corrupted (becouse it is burned in illegally activated windows) and yeah that windows have Avast free version that work all the time ... and Ubuntu that was burned to cd is 12.04 lts that is downloaded from www.ubuntu.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Could Win 7 corrupt a iso file of Ubuntu?

No, I don't think so. Why would you think that W7 could corrupt ISOs?
    Last edited by mikewhatever; December 6th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Beans

Although windows could corupt a .iso file, it is likely jut to be a failed download. I think it is very unlikely to have done any intelligent corruption such as planting malware.

One of the options in the Ubuntu live CD is to verify the contents. I forget exactly where the option is located, but it is there. If this option declares that the CD is OK, then I would believe it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Although windows could corupt a .iso file, it is likely jut to be a failed download. I think it is very unlikely to have done any intelligent corruption such as planting malware.

One of the options in the Ubuntu live CD is to verify the contents. I forget exactly where the option is located, but it is there. If this option declares that the CD is OK, then I would believe it.
    Did you mean " check disk for damage " option ?

Beans

Can Ubuntu check and found out by himself if i allowed him updates on daily bases is it somethnig wrong with files and OS ... that way we could forget about md5 and rest boring checking especially if we do not check iso and install that OS with that unchecked cd, and without iso we can not check md5? In other hand why we checking something if we try to check in syytem that we do not belive in ( in my case win 7 ) he can show me something else, and trick me that way...
    Last edited by Cerberus90; December 6th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It seems your concerns are more about what an illegal copy of Windows 7 might be doing to your ISO. First up: if it's illegal, don't ask here. Second, PLEASE follow the others advice and run a MD% check on the downloaded ISO - even if it is in your illegal Windows. The MS people normally wouldn't go to the trouble of pin-pointing something like an ISO, but rather they would disable your Windows completely. However, if you downloaded a copy of Win 7 via a torrent or some other source, then all bets are off as to what you actually have running as Win 7. Unless it came from a disk you either created from your recovery partition or was included by the manufacturer or from Microsoft, never trust it. A downloaded version of Windows from any other source I wouldn't trust to do anything.

Beans

use torrent to download Ubuntu iso . And windows 7 don't corrupt ISO

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Illegal copies of Windows > discussions not allowed, simple. Thread closed.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]