Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest version of Firefox I can run on Hardy (8.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Latest version of Firefox I can run on Hardy (8.04)

I dont want to go into why Im still running my outdated version of Ubuntu, but could anyone tell me whats the latest version of Firefox I can run on it? Im on Firefox v5.0. Yeah I know, the OS runs sweet, but Firefox is really starting to creak.
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Latest version of Firefox I can run on Hardy (8.04)

Try installing the latest from http://mozilla.org. It will install it to your home directory so that you will now have 2 copies of firefox, your old version and the latest (Version 25). To run it, you can create a launcher to point to the local firefox.

Or, open a terminal:

Code:
    cd
    ./firefox/firefox
    Take note of error messages in the terminal. I think I have version 23 running on an old Jaunty machine, so I know it is possible. You can't do the same with Google Chrome, because of dependencies and how Chrome is packaged.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I have Firefox 16.0.2 in use on a Ubuntu 8.04 system. Firefox 17 should work as well. Versions 18 or later won't work because of the higher gtk+ version required for those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I have Firefox 16.0.2 in use on a Ubuntu 8.04 system. Firefox 17 should work as well. Versions 18 or later won't work because of the higher gtk+ version required for those.
    Thanks Dennis,
    Thats exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for, I get so sick of the 'you've GOT to upgrade to the latest distro!' comments.
    Apart from the old version of Python that doesnt run the scripts I use (I do it on my Raspberry Pi) this is the first problem I've come across with running Hardy.

Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Running v17 now, Wow! what speed!
    V5 just sat there timing out half the time, I thought it was my router and restarted it a few times, but it seems it was the old Firefox. Superfast now on the 100mb fibre!!

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Running an unsupported browser on an unsupported OS? Have fun....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Not something that I would do. But, if potential security issues don't worry someone, then software that works will continue to work. (Although old code on new hardware will probably run slower than new code on new hardware because it can't leverage the new hardware capabilities.)

Risk can be mitigated, somewhat, by using a current kernel and manually installing newer versions of libs, apps, etc. The latter is eventually limited, though, by the versions of core components like GTK, python, etc, whose replacement would amount to building a new distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Behind a hardwired firewall, Noscript, flashblock, Adblock, Image Block, BlockSite and Ghostery, Java disabled, I think I've got it covered guys...

Around 95% of this machines time is running unattended, only use firefox on it 2 hours max a day...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mister_p_1998 View Post
    Behind a hardwired firewall, Noscript, flashblock, Adblock, Image Block, BlockSite and Ghostery, Java disabled, I think I've got it covered guys...

Around 95% of this machines time is running unattended, only use firefox on it 2 hours max a day...
    With that old of a kernel I think you're seriously at risk, but it's your risk not mine or anyone else's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Its behind a Hard firewall & a soft one, I've been running Various Ubuntu's for 7 years, with zero problems. I dont see what the problem is with an old kernel. Still better than XP or Win7.
    Last edited by mister_p_1998; December 13th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast