Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install TWiki 4.0.4 on Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install TWiki 4.0.4 on Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS

I was getting a screwy "oops" page with %20s in the URL when running Configure. I had to edit
    /home/httpd/twiki/twiki_httpd.conf and add the IP address of the machine from which I was running the TWiki configuration page. About 1/2 way down is a section about limiting access. Just add the IP address of your browser machine (with a comma) after the 192 address listed. Since I'm running LTS server with no GUI I'm not accessing from 127.0.0.1

BTW, the PHP issue is fixed without installing PHP by commenting out the line php_admin_flag engine off
    in twiki_httpd.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, all, for your help. In the end, I found that the easiest way to install twiki was through apt-get. After doing it that way, it worked, almost magically.

Now, though, my problem is that I've got it all configured and displaying properly, but in order to do anything I must first register myself.

But I can't register myself as a user. I go to TwikiRegistration and fill in all the appropriate fields, but then the server thinks about it for a while and returns a 500 error.

My apache log is telling me this:

[Mon Dec 18 23:05:40 2006] [error] [client 24.21.201.6] Premature end of script headers: register, referer: http://myip/twiki/bin/view/TWiki/TWikiRegistration

I'm sure I'm making a simple rookie mistake. Any thoughts? I greatly appreciate your help. I would ask this over at the twiki forum, but it has blacklisted me because it thinks I'm a spammer (when I first posted this, I had my actual DynDNS hostname rather than "myip" above).

---++ Environment

%EDITTABLE{format="|label,1|text,70|" changerows="off"}%
    | TWiki version: | Codev.TWikiRelease04x00x05 |
    | TWiki plugins: | only the defaults |
    | Server OS: | Ubuntu 6.04 |
    | Web server: | Apache 2.055 |
    | Perl version: | 5.87 |
    | Client OS: | OS X 10.4 |
    | Web Browser: | Camino |
    | Categories: | Registration %SUPPORTCATEGORIES% |

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install TWiki 4.0.4 on Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by maphew View Post
    there is a .deb package maintained at http://members.iinet.net.au/~spos/ which is generally only a few days behind the current twiki.org release, if that.
    this is the option i chose in installing my twiki site.

I still can't what the TwikiAdmin password is or how to reset it. anyone?
    Last edited by GOwin; December 28th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the detailed instruction.

Do have an issue with the install. When started twikking and went to either view or config the server messaged back:

can’t open the page “http://192.168.25.55not%20set/oops/T...b;param1=view” because it can’t find the server “192.168.25.55not%20set”

Where would the variable be set for “192.168.25.55not%20set”? twiki or apache confs?

Thoughts what might create this?

Thanks in advance!

forg3

Beans

Oops, missed the post above but solved the problem differently. Simply commented out this section

# Limit access to configure to specific IP addresses and or users.
    # Make sure configure is not open to the general public.
    # The configure script is designed for administrators only.
    # The script itself and the information it reveals can be abused by
    # attackers if not properly protected against public access.
    # Replace JohnDoe with the login name of the administrator
    # commented out 1/06/2007
    # <FilesMatch "^configure.*">
    # SetHandler cgi-script
    # Order Deny,Allow
    # Deny from all
    # Allow from 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.10
    # Require user JohnDoe
    # Satisfy Any
    # </FilesMatch>
    # ------------------------

Beans

If there are no email servers in the local network, and we have no interest for this feature, how do you suggest twiki handle user registration?
    Last edited by GOwin; January 25th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There's a pretty detailed installation guide for TWiki on Ubuntu on the TWiki.org site - actually it's a supplement to the installation guide for TWiki on Kubuntu, but the two procedures are virtually identical.

If you have problems installing TWiki on Ubuntu, or general setup problems with TWiki, there is also a useful support Web on TWiki.org. You won't always get such a quick answer as on Ubuntuforums, as we don't have such a large user base, but there is a lot of TWiki expertise there (I'm one of the developers btw).

Re GOWin's question about email server setup, here's a rather late reply... the simplest approach is to simply point TWiki directly to your ISP's SMTP server, using Net::SMTP rather than sendmail. See this part of the TWiki docs. Using TWiki without a local sendmail/postfix setup is quite common, but using it without any email access means you lose some useful features like notification of changes, ability to reset passwords automatically, and so on.

Beans

Maybe it's unrelated to Twiki but when I go to http://ipaddress/twiki/bin/configure I'm prompted to enter a user name and password. I do so and get

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.6 Server at <ip address>Port 80

I've read through the install and followed to the letter. I'm thinking it is somewhere in Apache but don't know where to look.

Thanks

Beans

You have to edit the /etc/apache2/conf.d/twiki.conf.
    You have to replace the testusername with the name of the user with wich you would like to configure twiki. Afterwards you may have to restart apache and it works (It did in my case).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I didn't need to edit the twiki.conf file at all (tested on Feisty). I just did

sudo apt-get install apache2 twiki

and that was it, could then log on as TWikiGuest to edit pages or run 'configure' within TWiki.

I've written a TWiki on Ubuntu HOWTO page at TWiki.org - I'd welcome comments on this, ideally on that page, and of course updates/fixes are very welcome! This HOWTO is a greatly improved and simplified version of the original HOWTO, which is still available on the TWikiOnKubuntu page if you need or want to install TWiki manually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast