Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 has no display at all

Beans

10.10 has no display at all

Somehow I have lost any screen display at all....even low resolution when booting into recovery. No gksu, no gdm, no nothing. Yes I can boot from a cd and everything runs fine but from my pc installation I'm getting goose eggs. I can work only within the ttyl screen. for a week I have been trying to work with xorg files, config files and I will accept any screen resolution at this point. I do have a Nvidia card but don't need the accelerated graphics. It keep saying the module doesn't load anyway. Why can't I get ANY screen at all perplexes me. HELP ! If you want me to post file contents tell please tell me how to mount my usb drive so I can copy and send from functional laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.10 has no display at all

Are you running ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Merkaat?, if so, you are running a not supported release, it reached its end of life on april 2012, and the repositories have been moved from the server.

I suggest you try the live CD in your computer with some of the supported releases: 12.04, 13.04, 13.10, then you install one of them which best fits your hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    Are you running ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Merkaat?, if so, you are running a not supported release, it reached its end of life on april 2012, and the repositories have been moved from the server.

I suggest you try the live CD in your computer with some of the supported releases: 12.04, 13.04, 13.10, then you install one of them which best fits your hardware.
    I know it is not a supported version anymore but don't have the resources to upgrade. I use old. releases in my repositories and can download from their site. I tried to boot up with the cd but it just kind hangs there for some reason..maybe because of the video issue I don't know....
    I can boot with puppy linux but can't see my other pc info there. a lot of problems with the later cd's are also graphics related so trying to upgrade would only lead me right back to where I am anyway as I tried the trial cds and thats is what I encountered since the nvidia graphocs drivers for some reason aren't included on the cds.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

medusa569; Hi !

Boot up a current supported version LiveDVD.

Maybe try this approach:
    Append "nomodeset" in grub's boot parameter line ...see if you then boot to desk top (try ubuntu mode, liveDVD);
    Then from Additional Drivers, install the recommended driver.
    If This is successful the same approach should work in the install.

Then again older hardware struggles with anything past version 10.04 for the high end distributions of ubuntu. Lubuntu on older hardware is highly recommended. It does well for us on an old AMD sempron system with Nvidia grahics.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

You have opened several threads regarding Maverick problems and every time you have been advised to install a supported release. If this is the hardware in question I would like all the others suggest trying Lubuntu 13.10 in a live boot and after that a minimal install.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

[QUOTE=Bashing-om;12866229]medusa569; Hi !

Boot up a current supported version LiveDVD.

OK got my live cd to boot with nomodeset and it detected video just fine. I am confused though on since any changes or installation ( aside from permanent install) will write to a temporary setup then how can i write to MY files and not the live cd cache?

Beans
    Distro

medusa569; Hey,

You are correct that there is no way to implement any changes to the liveDVD.

What I am aiming for is to get a supported version installed onto your hard drive.

Now we know that you are able to get a "usable" GUI ,, with the recommended graphics driver installed I should hope that you can get an excellent display on the install.

Can your hardware run the high end versions ? Or do you even want the high end ? .. Many opt for different versions for many reasons. My Wife was a die hard, pry 10.04 out of her cold dead hands mindset, she is happy now with 13.10 Lubuntu !

It all depends on what you want to do, and what your hardware can stand.

We now know we can get you a GUI for the Nvidia graphics card. Just a matter of what you want to run and getting it installed.

we can do this

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    medusa569; Hey,

You are correct that there is no way to implement any changes to the liveDVD.

What I am aiming for is to get a supported version installed onto your hard drive.

Now we know that you are able to get a "usable" GUI ,, with the recommended graphics driver installed I should hope that you can get an excellent display on the install.

Can your hardware run the high end versions ? Or do you even want the high end ? .. Many opt for different versions for many reasons. My Wife was a die hard, pry 10.04 out of her cold dead hands mindset, she is happy now with 13.10 Lubuntu !

It all depends on what you want to do, and what your hardware can stand.

We now know we can get you a GUI for the Nvidia graphics card. Just a matter of what you want to run and getting it installed.
    we can do this

No I know you cannot write to the cd /dvd but my questions was to be able to write to the already installed system i am trying to correct.
    No I am not desiring to upgrade as even with linux the software becomes more bloated with each release. I had things going along fine but one day ( perhaps because of removing some programs ) I wound up with startup problem and not being able to get log on display ..then eventually no display with recovery . It went from bad to worse... perhaps I will be cast to go about this the long way and compare with cut and past temp files to installed files and see if that will fix things. I just don't know what happened to even the 800X600 default driver? Something was better than nothing. I am having trouble installing graphics driver from terminal .

Beans
    Distro

medusa569; Hey;

Not a problem to access the install from the liveCD;
    One needs to know what hard drive the system is installed to and what partition they want to access.
    Do terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    to see all partitions if using the legacy MBR partitioning scheme.
    And "assuming" the installed system is on the first hard drive "sda"; then:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/work
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/work
    This mounts the 1st hard drive's 1st partition and gives you access.

Do whatever you need to do, and when done, ReMeMber to (UN)mount the device, else file system corruption - at some level - will result:
    For instance, to list the files in your install's /home directory:
    Code:
    ls -la /mnt/work/home/medusa569
    assuming the "username" you are using in the installed system is "medusa569".
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/work
    it's all in knowing how

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If your hardware is a pentium IV, I can say to you that I have a pentium III (11 years old) laptop with 512 MB RAM and 64 bits sys 630/730 graphics card working with lubuntu, so I suggest you to try lubuntu 13.10 (live CD ) to see if it works in your hardware.

Then, to install it, the minimal iso install can be an alternative: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...MinimalInstall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast